How to build XBMC on Zacate with crystalHD
Hi,

I am trying to build a VDR streaming client to watch mostly live-TV. My client hardware is an AMD Mini ITX board (ASUS E35M1-I). I have replaced the wireless mini-PCIe card with a broadcom crystalhd 70015.

Unfortunately, so far I was unable to get xbmc to work, trying both: compiling drivers and/or xbmc from source or using the precompiled packages from various ubuntu releases.

Currently I am stuck with precise, where the ATI driver just won't install. the proprietary driver crashes during updating of the kernel. If I use the open-source driver from the ubuntu packages, compiling xbmc crashes with the message that hardware acceleration is not available.

Using older ubuntu releases I ran into a problem compiling the broadcom drivers (one needs to update to libxine2 for compilation of xine plugins for crystalhd. libxine2 is not in the repository for older kernels and on top the crystalhd drivers need some undocumented patching: they use a deprecated ioctl structure member - contacting broadcom was to no avail)

So here are my questions:
1) What is the right ubuntu - release for my hardware
2) in which order do I need to install (from source or from binaries) the various backages
3) Does it make sense to combine the GPU hardware acceleration vaapi + the broadcom 70015 card

Thanks for your help
Instead of continuing along with this pain, either sell up and go ION or buy an Nvidia PCI-e graphics card if space allows for it.

The 70015 is not pleasant to work with as it appears you've already discovered. I run Ubuntu on an ION and it's effortless the only thing lacking from the chipset is bitstreaming other than that ... cool

Thanks Subliminal Aura,

I am seriously considering following your advise. However, I made some progress: The reason why the proprietary ati driver would not install is, that I used the 32 bit ubuntu precise (out of habit, I guess). The binary driver installed without problem on a AMD64 bit version.

Ubuntu Precise has crystalHD support already built in. I will now try to install XBMC. Will report back on my progress...

Still curious who will do the encoding job if I have both: the broadcom 70015 card and Radeon HD 6310 installed. Any idea how I can try this?[/b]
(2012-03-13, 20:11)wwss Wrote: I am trying to build a VDR streaming client to watch mostly live-TV. My client hardware is an AMD Mini ITX board (ASUS E35M1-I). I have replaced the wireless mini-PCIe card with a broadcom crystalhd 70015.
hmmm whats the reason you want use CrystalHD and not the XVBA solutions which are avaible?

(2012-03-13, 20:11)wwss Wrote: 3) Does it make sense to combine the GPU hardware acceleration vaapi + the broadcom 70015 card
i dont think so
greetings, Stephan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to build XBMC on Zacate with crystalHD0