new user quick questions :)
hello all!

Just got XBMC hooked up on my media center PC and its AMAZING! Just have a few new user question if ya dont mind.

1 - I want to backup the install incase the HDD dies. Im noticing my install folder is only like 75mb. Where are the thumbs stored?? I have over 2000 movies all with thumbs. They have to be cached somewhere right? There not in the same dir as the movies, or as the install folder.

2 - Is there a way to show what movies it could not find? Like for instance, if I drop 500 movies in there, and it only finds proper titles for like 490 of them, is there an easy way to see the 10 it missed other then going through and comparing whats in XBMC to whats in the folder?

3 - I have the sharing enabled and am able to share to all my laptops around the house!! YAY! As well as my iphone (jailbroken with xbmc installed)! I was wondering if there was a way to share over the net and not just on the LAN? So like if im at a friends, connected to fast wireless, and wanted to hit my server up?

thanks all!!

hi mate

1. just back up your user data folder, it will be summit like this...

C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata

2. dunno, i just make sure all my files are names exactly as they are on imdb.

3. intrested in this one

Matt
Main - LG - OLED65CX6LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV - Yamaha RXV383 - N2plus running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
BedRoom - Panasonic DX-700 UHD TV - N2 running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
Server - debian based 10TB Media Server 
(2012-03-13, 20:35)apachehaovk Wrote: 1 - I want to backup the install incase the HDD dies. Im noticing my install folder is only like 75mb. Where are the thumbs stored?? I have over 2000 movies all with thumbs. They have to be cached somewhere right? There not in the same dir as the movies, or as the install folder.

Even better, get a hold of some free cloning software and clone the whole shaboom. That way you can restore everything in one go.
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
Awesome thanks for the reply's!

Yeah cloning seems to be the best option here

Will wondering about the steaming to the phone Smile Smile Smile
2. XWMM can show you if a file has been included in the library or not. Well - it could using Dharma - I haven't played with this much in Eden though so I can't say for sure. Search the forums for XWMM

3. Do you just want to share your files over the net or do you want to stream content over the net? Two different things. If you want to share files remember that speed to access to your server will be limited by your upload speed - which can be quite slow. If you want to stream over the net look at subsonic or tversity as alternative programs. Once again your upload speed will be a limiting factor - not a problem for audio but can be for video.
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
yeah u understand that. I have a 10mb up at my place and my work has over 800mb down average so thats no biggie. Just want an on the fly encode streamer Smile

Any recommendations?
(2012-03-14, 03:12)rocketpants Wrote: If you want to stream over the net look at subsonic or tversity as alternative programs.

I use subsonic for music but apparently the latest version can do video as well - just tried it for video over the local network and it looks to be pretty good. You can transcode to a lower bit rate if you have bandwidth issues.

Never tried tversity but people seem to like it.
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
Cool Cool!

One last question if anyone knows.

Im using a lot of DVD iso's and its working great!

Some movies are 2 DVD's for 1 film. For instance the Godfather part 2 is split into two disks each with its own menu. What is the naming convention to get XBMC to get it to show up as DVD 1 and 2?? Mind you i have menues on both.

Thanks!!!!

**********also, you know how it will tell you what the audio stream is in the movie menu list? yeah works great for all my movies that are in "files" but it wont work for ISO's without launching them FIRST. After that, it works great but only after I launch them. Anyone see this as well?
Quote:1 - I want to backup the install incase the HDD dies. Im noticing my install folder is only like 75mb. Where are the thumbs stored?? I have over 2000 movies all with thumbs. They have to be cached somewhere right? There not in the same dir as the movies, or as the install folder.

I think it is best to go to Settings > Videos > Library and export your video library to multiple files (you can do a single file but you wont be able to edit them later if you want to...so if you have lets say the Godfather Trilogy, you cant make them a movie set unless you edit the individual file...so the multiple file export is the way to go) You can also do this for music. This also helps when sharing videos or music over the network as they will scrap from your files the fanart and thumbnails that you like best and not just what is listed first...then when you want to export it, you just copy and paste your folder. Cloneing is great for coping your OS...but it uses the entire hard drive...even just cloning the partition can be risky if you accidentally pick the wrong option so I would recommend my way over cloneing.

Quote:Some movies are 2 DVD's for 1 film. For instance the Godfather part 2 is split into two disks each with its own menu. What is the naming convention to get XBMC to get it to show up as DVD 1 and 2?? Mind you i have menues on both.

I would personally recommend burning your files to .mkv...especially if they are multi disks movies...there is nothing I hate more than being interrupted halfway thru a great film...you can burn the film, the subtitles, the behind the scenes, all of that to mkvs...then you can use something like MVKmerge GUI http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtool...merge.html To make the two files one...and then edit the .nfo files so that any behind the scenes or extras from the disk are in the movie set with the film file...its kinda like making your own dvd menu within XBMC and it will probably be a much smaller file with the same quality...and will not take any extra time to load.

Awesome thanks for that. Appreciate the answers!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
new user quick questions :)0