A polite request for xbox compatibility if it's not too much trouble
Well we're going totally off-topic here but why ATV when you could pick up a cheap second hand PC for a similar price and do a lot more with it? You're still talking of $100 when I have managed to pick up a few xboxes off a certain auction site for 99p, that's quite a jump in price - especially as the old xbox does so well with SD content. By the way Navi-X works pretty much flawlessly with the xbox so it's certainly not a dead system yet - while there's still SD content available there will still be a place for the big black doorstop! Once that time is over then we can use it as an arcade machine/jukebox and streaming local content.
To drag things back on topic and clarify things for future posts:

@Team XBMC - I don't think anyone is asking for changes in core, just that addon devs take a few extra minutes to help out our beleaguered friends on xbox.

I know people that build embedded linx distros for calculators. Why? They can. If it takes an extra hour or so of my time to save a few people $100 a pop, I'm game.

I think t0mm0.common and urlresolver can be brought to xbox. The catch is, I don't have time to do it all myself so I'll need some of you xbox users to dig up information. I think the information about what can be done to make an addon xbox friendly fits well here, but the actual discussion per addon belongs over at xbmc4xbox.com

Here's what I have so far for making an addon xbox friendly:
1. Must be code compatible with python 2.4
2. Huh

Next step, get us a list of what imports and modules are available on xbmc.
I suggest that very few people here know what it takes, as few here have any idea what the state of xbmc4xbox is. It's far more likely that xbmc4xbox users/devs know what needs doing.

Thus, I suggest your best bet is to take an addon you want (I suggest starting with something that's as simple as possible - you can tell from the amount of code the addon has most likely) and play around until it works - at that point you'll know what is needed and have an idea of how hard it is. It's probably best to do this over on xbmc4xbox's forums.

Once you've figured out what needs doing, THEN you can perhaps document it here for others.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2012-03-15, 18:32)Bstrdsmkr Wrote: To drag things back on topic and clarify things for future posts:

@Team XBMC - I don't think anyone is asking for changes in core, just that addon devs take a few extra minutes to help out our beleaguered friends on xbox.

I know people that build embedded linx distros for calculators. Why? They can. If it takes an extra hour or so of my time to save a few people $100 a pop, I'm game.

I think t0mm0.common and urlresolver can be brought to xbox. The catch is, I don't have time to do it all myself so I'll need some of you xbox users to dig up information. I think the information about what can be done to make an addon xbox friendly fits well here, but the actual discussion per addon belongs over at xbmc4xbox.com

Here's what I have so far for making an addon xbox friendly:
1. Must be code compatible with python 2.4
2. Huh

Next step, get us a list of what imports and modules are available on xbmc.

Thanks you ever so much Bstrdsmk, I will do what I can to get the information for you a.s.a.p.

(2012-03-15, 22:44)jmarshall Wrote: I suggest that very few people here know what it takes, as few here have any idea what the state of xbmc4xbox is. It's far more likely that xbmc4xbox users/devs know what needs doing.

Thus, I suggest your best bet is to take an addon you want (I suggest starting with something that's as simple as possible - you can tell from the amount of code the addon has most likely) and play around until it works - at that point you'll know what is needed and have an idea of how hard it is. It's probably best to do this over on xbmc4xbox's forums.

Once you've figured out what needs doing, THEN you can perhaps document it here for others.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan, We'll hopefully get the wheels turning over there. ;-)
(2012-03-15, 14:21)spiff Wrote:
(2012-03-15, 13:47)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-03-15, 10:30)spiff Wrote: i wonder when people are gonna respect our announcement 3 FRIGGAN YEARS AGO that we will not do any more xbox work.

Team-XBMC isn't being asked to do anything here.
not after you reformulated it to be an add-on question. it was NOT originally. originally it was a plead for us devs to do something for a platform we announced we have abandoned years ago.

I did not reformulate anything. The original post was clearly about just add-ons, and the linked xbmc4xbox thread backs that up. All I did was clear up the misunderstanding.
It would be easier for me to tell you why a particular addon isn't working that trying to come up with a list of things that would need changing.
oh, and the only "modules" we ship with are script.module.beautifulsoup and script.module.xbmcaddon (which is the magic try and make xbmc addons work even though we dont have an addon system) Smile
(2012-03-15, 22:44)jmarshall Wrote: I suggest that very few people here know what it takes, as few here have any idea what the state of xbmc4xbox is. It's far more likely that xbmc4xbox users/devs know what needs doing.

Cheers,
Jonathan

/agree

I'll be checking in over at xbmc4xbox.com

@exobuzz - If you want to be my guinea pig, I'll see if I can get urlresolver and t0mm0.common up and running. I'm sure Eldorado wouldn't mind a compatibility patch if it doesn't break anything. They don't have any other module dependencies so it seems like a good starting point. Also, feel free to post in the 1Channel section of xbmchub.com, I'm usually paying more attention there lol
I would probably suggest (depending on the changes) to just make a separate branch of the modules for the xbox and let someone who is interested to maintain it.. I'd hate to have to maintain coding done for a specific platform in the main branch, especially one that is outdated..

I know for sure that in metahandlers I used some python commands that are only in the new Python version, there may be legacy stuff can use in place.. but then it's still maintaining legacy code when we're trying to move forward..
Hopefully we don't have to remind you about XBMC's Official Piracy Policy

So see XBMC HUB for support related to icefilms/1channel
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
addons containing legacy xbox code will almost certainly not be accepted in our add-on repo.

addon creaters who are willing to create/maintain a separate xbox version of their addon are free to hop on over to http://www.xbmc4xbox.org/

closing.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2012-03-17, 02:31)ronie Wrote: addons containing legacy xbox code will almost certainly not be accepted in our add-on repo.

addon creaters who are willing to create/maintain a separate xbox version of their addon are free to hop on over to http://www.xbmc4xbox.org/

closing.

Reopening. Most add-ons still work on the xbox, and there is nothing in our official repo policy that backs up what you just said. Discussion and consideration for reasonable requests for compatibility with unofficial platforms (mostly being the old xbox) happen on a daily bases and without issue. There is a stark difference between "we do not support the xbox" and "we will ban any mention of it". I told the thread poster that this thread would be allowed only as a polite "if it's not too much trouble" request for add-on authors (not Team-XBMC) as long as it stayed in one thread. Believe me, if this was the typical "support xbox" thread, I would be the first to close/delete/smash/kill it.
(2012-03-17, 03:35)Ned Scott Wrote: Reopening. Most add-ons still work on the xbox, and there is nothing in our official repo policy that backs up what you just said.

Why did I need to even make seperate script for Dharma and Eden then?
First I had some version checking to make them compatible but this was NOT allowed so they needed to be split up
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Correct - I suspect it's not possible to make a python add-on acceptable in the official repository for Eden that also works in Dharma or earlier (save some very simple add-on), as to do so you'd need to have legacy code that is not compatible with Eden and thus not acceptable in the official Eden repository.

Still, that doesn't mean that a 3rd party repo couldn't offer add-ons that support more than just Eden.

Further, there is nothing to stop an add-on developer (or a 3rd party) from maintaining separate branches of their add-on for Eden, Dharma, and earlier - several do already.

Let me be clear, though: It's up to the add-on developer. All you can do is politely ask them, and then respect their decision should they not wish to do so. I'm sure most will be quite happy to allow someone else to take their code and do what is required to support some other platform should they not have the time or inclination to do so.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2012-03-17, 03:40)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-03-17, 03:35)Ned Scott Wrote: Reopening. Most add-ons still work on the xbox, and there is nothing in our official repo policy that backs up what you just said.

Why did I need to even make seperate script for Dharma and Eden then?
First I had some version checking to make them compatible but this was NOT allowed so they needed to be split up

If Official_add-on_repository#Repository_guidelines (wiki) needs to be updated then so be it. You know more about that stuff than I do. Even then, do we only allow discussion for add-ons in the official repo? What about unofficial PVR builds? Unofficial ARM builds from geexbox? Unofficial builds with audio patches? None of those are supported by Team-XBMC.
Re-closing this myself because I don't want there to be any more bad-feelings than I've already caused. As far as I know, a thread of this nature does not violate any rules (so long as it does not disrupt things, is demanding, lots of multiple posts, etc), but it's now been forever derailed, and my fellow team members really dislike any kind of disagreement between each other showing up in public.

Jmarshal's post pretty much sums it up. A single thread like this won't likely help anyone anyways, so it's best to just contact (politely) the add-on dev about any help you need with an add-on and an xbox (or any other unofficial build, for that matter).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A polite request for xbox compatibility if it's not too much trouble0