Win upnp sharing with my le37c650 doesnt work
hi
im trying to share my local movies with xbmc to my tv (samsung le37c650) via the upnp share option in xbmc. i can see the xbmc on my tv but when i enter into a folder i keep receivin a message: request cannot be completed. returning to main menu.
ive been googling for 2 hours but havnt found smth yet. if anyone can help it would be really great. thx in advance
XBMC's video library sharing via UPNP is not very robust right now. Trying to do it with TVs and such that have limited codec and bitrate support is quirky at best. Most TVs need a proper DLNA streaming app totrancode the media to the proper filetypes/bitrates for smooth playback.
I keep thinking maybe I'll clear a week and sit down with the uPnP code. The problem is that I can't buy one of every TV on the market to test with. uPnP is allegedly a standard, but some TVs are more standard than others.

JR
thanks for the replies. i know that my tv doesnt need transcoded material because it supports many types of files. i`ve tried to play almost every kind of movie file from the usb and it has played everything correctly except for flash movies, but im not interested into playing that type of movie files. i think there must be some kind of configuration in xbmc or in windows itself that doesnt let me enter the shared folders from the tv. its like a firewall or smth similiar that eventhough i have turned off the firewall it doesnt let me in. Its not that i can`t play the files, the problem is that i cant enter the folders inside xbmc on my tv. any other help would be really great. thx
one more thing is that i can share via the windows media player upnp but it lets me play only wmv files, and from what i`ve googled its a limitation of the windows media player that`s why im trying to share with the xbmc upnp service.
jhsrennie,
If so, one would expect the devices to fail the certification process.

I created a ticket (http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/12577) a while back about a similar issue; certain devices get a "Not authorized" message when trying to access the server. I've listed a few models that seem effected.

In my case it's a DLNA 1.5 certified Pioneer VSX-921 reciever which works perfectly fine when using WMP or MediaMonkey as the DLNA server.

@neoal
Just because it plays from a USB drive doesn't mean it'll play through LAN using UPNP. A lot of sets treat the USB port differently than streaming media. WMP will transcode the files on the fly to the TV. WMP will share more than just wmv files. See here for supported file types.
Hi and thx kricker
i checked the link that you suggested and it says that this kind of movie files are supported with media player upnp (Video files, such as Windows Media Video (.wmv), AVI (.avi), MPEG-1 (.mpeg, .mpg), and MPEG-2 (.mpeg, .mpg) files. (DVD-Video discs inserted into your computer can't be shared.))
the problem is that i have almost 1 tb of movies in divx or mp4 or other formats not mentioned here and when i try to open a file from the wmp shared folders it just doesnt work. and i dont think i can convert 1tb of files to mpeg2 or wmv. i dont know what to do
Best to look at true DLNA media streamers such as, PS3 Media Server, Serviio etc. I've used both in the past, and they worked okay with my DLNA equipped TVs and PS3. Setup for both is about the same in complication. Serviio just added some XBMC .nfo reading stuff. Both are free.
@jhsrennie: You might want to check out my commit here:

https://github.com/jmarshallnz/xbmc/comm...3b5c0b3bbf

Obviously it needs some cleaning up (applying to the platinum make file, choosing a reasonably sane logging level etc.) but it would be useful to have at least some debug info come out of Platinum.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

i just tested serviio and it works really good, the only thing is that it doesnt stream the subtitles, but anyway maybe thats to much to ask Smile
thx kricker
Check the Serviio forums. There is probably discussions about subtitles.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
upnp sharing with my le37c650 doesnt work0