My first HTPC Configuration
Hello guys.

After a few weeks of research, I think I'm almost ready to build my first HTPC.
I'd use it to:
watch mkv files (1080)
watch Blu-ray Disc
watch videos in streaming (out of US, I'm from Italy)
jdownloader (not 24/7 but the most of the time it will be ON)
listen radio and music files
no gaming so far, but maybe one day I could think about it.
For sure, I'm searching for something quite and energy saving.

SSD is missing, I know, I'll take a look at it soon.

My config:
Mobo ASRock A75 Pro4 FM1 ATX VGA OnBoard
CPU AMD FM1 A6-3500 Box (2,10GHz)
CPU FAN Arctic Cooling Freezer 13
RAM CORSAIR Vengeance Blue DDR3 4GB / 1600Mhz
HDD Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" Intellipower 64MB SATA3 WD20EARX
PSU BEQUIET 350W Pure Power
BD Blu-ray LITEON iHOS104 Retail Front Silver Black
CASE HTPC MS-Tech MC-380 ATX Nero

It will costs about 420€ and this is what I can afford as budget.

Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
(2012-03-14, 18:06)PoisonTheWell Wrote: My config:
Mobo ASRock A75 Pro4 FM1 ATX VGA OnBoard
CPU AMD FM1 A6-3500 Box (2,10GHz)

It will costs about 420€ and this is what I can afford as budget.

Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Great choice, and A6-3500 should be able to playback everything in your list. Just be careful with RAM though, AsRock mobo is very picky on RAM. You can find the supported RAM on their website- http://www.asrock.com/mb/memory.asp?Model=A75 Pro4
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thank you.

Any suggestions about the noise reduction?
get new cpu cooler
Instead of Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 or a new one?
oh i 've read too fast lol

if that cooler fits, its good.

maybe replace your case's 80mm fan.
I have the same APU and I found that the stock cooler is quite. So much in fact that once I turn it on I would have walk over and get close to case and listen to hear it running. I do have all my lights blacked out so I can't really tell if it really is on or not. LOL. So if you could save some money by trying the stock cooler and see if it would fit your needs.
Nice build, I just hate ASRock but that's just personal preference.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
The stock cooler, setted to 10% with SpeedFan is quiet. Quieter than my case fan, a Noctua NF-R8, setted at 1300RPM. I will slow it down further, at ~800RPM. It then should be fairly quiet.
I'll try to use the stock cooler and buy a SSD, 60gb should be enough (win 7, xbmc and few softwares).
I got only a last question... this configuration could be fine to encode my blurays?

Thanks for your posts, I can't wait to build my HTPC and run XBMC... it's amazing.
(2012-03-16, 13:06)PoisonTheWell Wrote: I'll try to use the stock cooler and buy a SSD, 60gb should be enough (win 7, xbmc and few softwares).
I got only a last question... this configuration could be fine to encode my blurays?

Thanks for your posts, I can't wait to build my HTPC and run XBMC... it's amazing.

Do you mean ripping a bluray or playing a bluray?
I would say yes to both but with some caution on the ripping. Ripping and converting to say a mkv will be very cpu hungry and comsume lots of power , along with the time it will take to perform the operation. Which will be and I am only guessing on this but atleast 4 hours. I use my main rig,, an i7 for all my conversions using hadbrake as the final step to mkv, which will top out all my cpu's to 100%.

If you mean will it play all blurays, then yes it will play all blurays flawlessly.

Yes, I meant ripping from BD to mkv, fortunately this won't be the main feature of the htpc.

Thanks again Harro Wink
The if ripping, my main concern then would be the heat buildup. Even though I just read an article about AMD's new APU, Trinity running a desktop on eyeinfinity setup at 5040x1050 (3 screens) I do not think I personally would consistently push the cpus on a daily basis like that. Same would be true on ripping.
The case you are looking at seems to be pretty tight and not very much intake for air. So maybe go with a differant cpu cooler if you are planning on ripping alot and look at another fan for the case.
Or stay with the stock cpu get another case fan and then if you plan on just ripping the occasional bluray, let it run at night when the cpu fan will ramp up to 100% and noise won't bother you.
Perfetct, now everything is clear.
I'll wait to move into ripping BD.
(2012-03-16, 13:06)PoisonTheWell Wrote: I'll try to use the stock cooler and buy a SSD, 60gb should be enough (win 7, xbmc and few softwares).
The stock cooler should be fine, and 60gb should be plenty. I have 32gb for W7+XBMC+other softerware, and I still have nearly 10gb left after 1 year.

If you want to encode blu-ray or doing multi-task, I'm recommending the A6-3650 or A8-3850 instead. The A6-3500 should be able to playback everything you throw at it, but it'll be at the slow end for encoding blu-ray.....just a thought!

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My first HTPC Configuration0