A polite request for xbox compatibility if it's not too much trouble
Hi All,

I hope you don't mind me posting here. This is a plea to you XBMC developers for the revival of some development on XBMC for the Original XBox.
We have been surviving quite well for some time, but it looks like this may come to an end with new developments in the now split stram XBMC.

A lot of newer plugins won't work for the XBOX as there are issues with the common and url resolver modules which are incompatible.
See here: -

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org/forum/viewtopic...=15&t=3570

Would anyone be willing to help us resolve these issues, so that we can move forward and keep our beloved XBox's running?

Many Thanks to you for taking the time to read this post.
Just whip out $100 and buy an ATV2 (and future ATV3) which can run all the latest XBMC versions/plugin/skins.
Maybe something more and you have a decent HTPC.

Why stay on that old XBOX and go through all that trouble when you can have some decent hardware for little money.

Don't think you'll find much interest here.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
It's been said over and over. There's just no point in maintaining a seperate code base for such an old (and just not very capable) platform. It just can't meet the demands of a modern HT platform - 1080p, bitstreaming, 24bit audio, etc.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Er, because it doesn't play XBox games and also doesn't have emulation support for Arcade and Console games that you get with COINOPS, that's a couple of reasons. And for around £30 on eBay are really good value for what you can get them to do. ;-)

Feel the love, the XBox is XBMC's roots! :-D
I think the main focus here is on add-on compatibility (and not core XBMC development), so I've moved this to the add-on dev forum. A number of add-on devs are fine with making minor tweaks to help out xbox people.
keep in mind, this is in no way any kind of official support. It's just a minor "hey, if it's not any trouble.." kind of thing. Just keep it in one thread.
Thanks Ned, much appreciated.
Help us help you. What modules are not available on xbox? I haven't dusted off my xbox in quite a while.
I would also do some changes to my Addons to get them compatible with original xbox - feel free to test my addons and report to me if they don't work.
My GitHub. My Add-ons:
do you insist on using the old, outdated powerdrill that hardly has any battery time and only handle flat-head screws (on a good day) as well?

hardware is just a tool. "loyalty" to a tool is silly.

i wonder when people are gonna respect our announcement 3 FRIGGAN YEARS AGO that we will not do any more xbox work.
(2012-03-15, 01:48)Ned Scott Wrote: I think the main focus here is on add-on compatibility (and not core XBMC development), so I've moved this to the add-on dev forum. A number of add-on devs are fine with making minor tweaks to help out xbox people.
keep in mind, this is in no way any kind of official support. It's just a minor "hey, if it's not any trouble.." kind of thing. Just keep it in one thread.

I'd agree, i made a few tweaks to the addon i used to code for, based on feedback from XBMC4Xbox users, but i'm not going to do leaps and bounds in code to accomodate an old platform
(2012-03-15, 10:30)spiff Wrote: i wonder when people are gonna respect our announcement 3 FRIGGAN YEARS AGO that we will not do any more xbox work.

Team-XBMC isn't being asked to do anything here.
(2012-03-15, 10:30)spiff Wrote: do you insist on using the old, outdated powerdrill that hardly has any battery time and only handle flat-head screws (on a good day) as well?

hardware is just a tool. "loyalty" to a tool is silly.

i wonder when people are gonna respect our announcement 3 FRIGGAN YEARS AGO that we will not do any more xbox work.
I use both - htpc and xbox - depending on what I'm doing.
If there's something better for watching sd content - that's as cheap, as unbreakable, as kidproof, as child-friendly, as reliable, that will also play games and emulators then point me at it. Please!
The problem for newer plugins as I understand it is basically that the xbox doesn't run the common and url resolver modules - there doesn't seem to be an easy solution to that.

(2012-03-15, 13:47)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-03-15, 10:30)spiff Wrote: i wonder when people are gonna respect our announcement 3 FRIGGAN YEARS AGO that we will not do any more xbox work.

Team-XBMC isn't being asked to do anything here.
not after you reformulated it to be an add-on question. it was NOT originally. originally it was a plead for us devs to do something for a platform we announced we have abandoned years ago.

It's only a plea to kelp us keep riunning guys, as the newer plugin versions aren't useable at present.
I don't have any experience myself, but who knows, this maybe a simple fix.

Information I have form a post from Whufclee on xbmc4xbox.org http://www.xbmc4xbox.org/forum/viewtopic...0&start=10
is that our version is more like Camelot than Dharma, and some of the differences he believes maybe an issue are as follows: -

We have the old addons structure:
plugins (videos/programs/music all in seperate folders)
Scripts have their own folder too

He thinks we're also using Python 2.4

And as mentioned in an earlier post, a lot of the newer addons use t0mm0s URL Resolver and the common modules which don't appear to be compatible. Whufclee isn't sure why, but believes it maybe down to dependencies or a newer version of Python.

Please help, you know you want to and we would be eternally grateful I'm sure.

Many Thanks
(2012-03-15, 05:45)Bstrdsmkr Wrote: Help us help you. What modules are not available on xbox? I haven't dusted off my xbox in quite a while.

Hi Bstrdsmkr, I believe there are issues with t0mm0s common modules and url resolver that a lot of the newer plugins/addons call.
These don't appear to be compatible wit the XBox XBMC.

(2012-03-15, 09:09)sphere Wrote: I would also do some changes to my Addons to get them compatible with original xbox - feel free to test my addons and report to me if they don't work.

Thanks sphere, much appreciated.

:-)

Ok I'll add my little comment here then... Honestly I don't know if it's a little fix that's needed or something more complex but if anyone could take a look to see what's breaking things I know there will be a lot of grateful xbox users out there. I don't think anyone is expecting xbmc devs to work on our problems but this is just a plea to anybody with a bit of knowhow to see if they could fire up their old xbox and take a look at what's going wrong?

To be honest I thought it would be the end of online content for xbox when XBMC moved to the new addons structure in Dharma but Temhil managed to make an addons4xbox installer which has worked brilliantly - whilst that still works and installs everything to the correct locations there's something not xbox compatible in the newer plugins resulting in script errors.

I'm no developer so most likely completely off track but for the non xbox-friendly modules would it be possible to add an "if os<>xbox import..."? I'm not sure what the newer modules are even doing so I guess that may even break the whole addon, however if it's just related to metadata and that kind of thing I think we could live without that. Obviously if they are using URL Resolver that's definately a module we'd need to get running properly on xbox - is it even possible?

The xbox has done great over the years and I still use mine all over the house as they are great for streaming to in bedrooms or even in the garden and like trogggy said they are really cheap and very kid friendly. Obviously I have a proper HTPC in the lounge where quality matters but for everywhere else the xbox is a great solution.

Anyone up to the challenge to see if we can scrape another few years worth of use out of these old warhorses?!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A polite request for xbox compatibility if it's not too much trouble0