Adding a Documentary's Folder
Hey guys. I love the Aeon Nox skin and have been using it flawlessly for a couple of months. However after acquiring quite a few Documentary style TV shows I wanted to make a change. I was hoping to split the TV shows from the documentary's.

So I created a 2nd folder on my hard drive and named it Docos, pointed XBMC to it and classed it as TV Shows to be scrapped with TheTVDB. I then choose this as a favourite folder and enabled it onto my Home Screen, however I still see the documentary's in my TV Shows Folder. I was wondering how I could change this as to just see the items that are from my specific named TV Shows folder on my hard drive.

Also, since setting up the documentary's folder I have not had episode numbers displayed in front on the name of the episode, and they are all in a mixed up order. I am not sure how I changed that.

I hope this isn't too confusing, if there are any questions just ask.
someone please correct me if i'm wrong but i know this is how stuff *used* to work

i dont think you can include them as a TV show type content if you want to split it apart from tv shows. there is only one tv show database and if you are scanning in any content of type 'tv show' then it will appear in the tv show list regardless. i believe the only way to achieve what you want is to view the documentaries link in file mode rather than library mode. you can export (or add them manually) the posters, fanart, etc into each individual documentary folder and have limited customisation of the view in filemode, however once you add them as a tvshow content type then they'll appear in the other tvshow section

not 100% sure why the episode numbers arent showing up, but once you switch to file mode you should be able to see them, as well as sort them by name

hope this helps Smile
fanclub is right, XBMC only has one big tv show database.
My preferred method is to use smart playlists. Similar thread here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=125294 However, note that if you hide the "TV shows" menu item you lose the watched/unwatched episode stats on the home screen and the widgets :\

I'm starting to think it might be a good thing to have this in the FAQ Tongue

By the way, another method I've seen before is to set up a separate profile. Then add the sources separately, so there's absolutely no mixing of your video category with other tv shows. Downside is you'll have to switch between profiles.
Smart playlist is the way to go for this, I did that with kids shows,

The problem with the fact that you dont have episode numbers is because it is using file view with library names, but here is how you do it (this solution will fix your no episode number):

Documentary section:

Create a smart playlist of type TV shows with a rule like : path contains "Docos" and test it to make sure it will only display your documentaries.
Once that smart playlist is working fine, use the home menu customizer and add it to the home menu.

TV Section not to display Documentaries:
Create a smart playlist of type TV shows with a rule like : path does not contains "Docos" and test it to make sure it will only display all your TV shows except your documentaries.
Once that smart playlist is working fine, add that playlist as a favorite and use the home menu customizer and change the default behaviour of the "TV Shows" link to point to the new smart playlist.

Hardware: Revo 3610 + SSD - Harmony 700 Remote
Software: XBMCBuntu Gotham - Sickbeard - SabNZBd+

(2012-03-15, 16:46)The_Dogg Wrote: Once that smart playlist is working fine, add that playlist as a favorite and use the home menu customizer and change the default behaviour of the "TV Shows" link to point to the new smart playlist.
I didn't know that, thanks!

Hey guys, I am a little confused at the moment with this. I have created a smart playlist in my userdata called Docos.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="tvshows">
    <name>Anime</name>
    <match>one</match>
   <rule field="path" operator="startswith">/Docos</rule>
    <rule field="path" operator="startswith">T://Docos/</rule>
    <order direction="ascending">tvshow</order>
</smartplaylist>

Now, I am not sure if I have got my rules right. My Docos folder is located on Drive T:/Docos.
I then went into skin settings and added the smart playlist to my home menu. Which worked perfectly, however when entering the Docos page, it came up with nothing.
If anyone could help this would be great. I am running Aeon Nox if that would also help.
thanks for the post The_Dogg, you've totally opened up my xbmc experience to a whole new level Smile
stealthy1, try this instead:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="tvshows">
     <name>Anime</name>
     <match>all</match>
    <rule field="path" operator="contains">Docos/</rule>
     <order direction="ascending">tvshow</order>
</smartplaylist>
(2012-03-16, 15:05)fanclub Wrote: thanks for the post The_Dogg, you've totally opened up my xbmc experience to a whole new level Smile

Glad I could help with that Smile

Smart Playlists can be really powerful, the possibilities are almost endless. I only recently started playing with them, didnt try complex ones yet.
Hardware: Revo 3610 + SSD - Harmony 700 Remote
Software: XBMCBuntu Gotham - Sickbeard - SabNZBd+

(2012-03-15, 16:46)The_Dogg Wrote: Once that smart playlist is working fine, add that playlist as a favorite and use the home menu customizer and change the default behaviour of the "TV Shows" link to point to the new smart playlist.
wow! cant wait to try that when i get home - powerful option to know about
Hey guys. I got this to work by creating a smart playlist inside of xbmc. Setting it to a rule where the path contains the word docos. After a few different trys. It works a treat. Thanks for your help.
It's easier to use GUI and create the smart playlist inside XBMC, isn't it? XD
Yeah is a hell of a lot easier.
I have a Documentary folder / Movie folder and TV Folder. My Documentary folder is scraped by IMDB and it work fine. About 98% of them get scraped. I don't know what documentaries you have
When I create two smart playlist's

1. genre: not documentary = movies
2. genre: documentary = documentaries

do the widgets (recently added etc.) work on the movies?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding a Documentary's Folder0