Suggestions on Speaker Placement Outdoors
Well the weather is starting to warm up at nights by me and I recently have purchased a outdoor movie screen

.Image

Along with this screen I have combined it with Pionner VSX-821-K, a Optoma GT700 and will be using my Acer Laptop to deliver the XBMC experience to the screen. I have been give a set of Polk 5.1 speakers misus the subwoofer.

Question I have is would a sub woofer make much differance in an outdoor area and since this is outdoors rear speaker placement is really out of the question, so where would the rear speaker placement go as a replacement position? Also how far from screen would speakers be placed since the projector will be roughly about 8 foot from screen. And if a sub would benefit I was thinking of getting this Polk sub. Would this sub give enough wow outdoors or not?
Do I place them in line with projector or place by screen?
Oh the picture shows screen inside my metal building but it will be outside on the grass, I was just testing it out in the building.
A fun project. Audio outdoors is challanging at best. If you wish to achieve the volume levels you're accustomed to indoors you'd be surprised how much power is actually required. So much is lost to the open environment. That said, you get sound free of the bad room effects such as early reflections, room modes, etc.

I would definitely go with a sub, as you'll find the "non-directional" bass the first thing to disappear outdoors. Is that sub enough? Not enough to reproduce indoor effects, but little HT equipment will.

If rear speakers are out of the question there is no real substitute position for them that will reproduce the same effect. You can place them to the sides and reduce their overall contribution, but the effect will not be what was intended by the engineers.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Thanks for the reply,
I guess I will set up the audio for 2.1.
Being outdoors will be a challenge but the area I will be setting up in has metal building surrounding just about all sides. Sound in my tests playing around with the audio I have found out that alot of it is bouncing off of the building creating a larger than life sound. I haven't heard an echo, but that may change if I add a sub.
Any other suggestions by anyone?
I'd just keep things simple and throw the sub behind the screen. Looks like some form of inflatable stand for the screen?
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
(2012-03-16, 06:09)thethirdnut Wrote: I'd just keep things simple and throw the sub behind the screen. Looks like some form of inflatable stand for the screen?

Yes it is an inflatable screen.
I brought out my sub from the house last night to hear what differance it would make. The audio sounded deeper and richer. I like. Tonight is movie night and am hoping for a good crowd. I have placed the sub off to the side but not too far away from projector. May move it around a bit to hear the differance in area's.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Suggestions on Speaker Placement Outdoors0