Server Update
For those of you that were putting up with me while I was setting up an NAS I thought I would update you.

I ended up with a Synology Diskstation with 5 3TB Seagate Barracuda drives and I couldn't be happier. No worrying about remote access (OS is entirely web based) and no days on end prepping of drives like unRAID, not to say there's anything wrong with unRAID. I also didn't have to sit at a command window and spend a whole night entering commands just to set it up. Once I had the drive in, it was basically up and running without any extra work from me. It prepped the RAID and then did a verify which I let go overnight (about 8-10 hours if I recall).

I ran a CAT6 cable into the basement and hid the diskstation away and connected it to a UPS. It quietly does it's job in spectacular fashion. Easy access to all my media in SMB and performance is excellent. I have it set to email me if any drives report errors or anything. If one goes bad, I just slip another one in.

While maybe not the best option for those on a budget, I can't think of a better way for me to safely store and serve my media throughout my home.

I now have an extra tower and 5 3TB "green" drives that I may use to play around with FreeNAS and ZFS.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
It would be nice if this thread would be titled "Synology Diskstation Review" or something which is more on topic to your post content than just "Server Update" Wink

Don't get me wrong, you explained your opinion well ...
My GitHub. My Add-ons:
Yeah it's just that it's not a proper review, which maybe I should write up for XBMC'rs. It was mostly for the tons of people who were patiently trying to help me with this situation. I think I will write up a review and post it.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Server Update0