XBMC on macmini to QNAP via internet
Hi all.

So I’m kind of stuck and I need of some expert advice.

What is the best and most reliable way to stream Video and Music from a NAS to XBMC over WAN..
My problem is that I am having some difficulty connecting my MacMini (running XBMC at my vacation home), with my QNAP holding all my data, movies, music etc. (at home) via the internet.

I have tried connecting via FTP, but movies stop after a few secs, and takes forever buffering

I have also tried setting up a VPN from my MacMini to my Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH DD-WRT Router, and port forwarded it to the Qnap, but I’m definitely way out of my league here. Short version tried pptp and open VPN, but pptp didn´t work and openVPN was a bit to difficult, for one who never tried it before. Or maybe I’m a neewb.

So now I’m thinking about webdavs.. Saw a vid of it on youtube, and it seemed to stream Ok.

Anyone tried it.. Does it work with .iso, mkv etc.? and is it streaming, or does it download it or does it buffer.

And is this really the best way to do this?

Thanx in advance.
Chances are that your upstream internet connection for the NAS isn't fast enough to stream the movies without major buffering, like you experienced with FTP.
Look into plex as they offer transcoding abilites. I use this to acess my media from work or school.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on macmini to QNAP via internet0