Win Easy way to add Custom Menu Item without adding to movies also?
I want to add an Exercise catagory to XBMC main menu and I don't want them all lumped in with my movies or TV.... Why can't this be as simple as add this Directory, label it this, and call it a day?!

I like the smart playlists and favorites but it shouldn't have to be the only option and have to be part of Movies. Why does xbmc not see stuff that isn't movies or TV?
Everything n XBMC is considered media...music too.. and when it scans for new media you are presented with choices...the idea is to make it easy for scrapers to access the database of relevance for the material to be scraped. If there is no label, then it doesn't scan into the library..... (and in your case I doubt there would be a scraper for exercise), so while you don't get the benefits of library mode (you could create custom.nfos and put them into the library) you still can access the material in file mode.... link from the home page would be a button called videos (skin depending, some already list this category) and some skins have sub menu's that can directly access this material.

I understand that you understand the short comings.... small price to pay; for the price.

Contributions are always welcome.
There isn't a way to just tell xbmc to scan a certain directory for media and extract screenshot for it and label it "this"....

I only know its possible because I am long time user of MediaBrowser and finally came over to the DarkSide! MediaBrowser allows you to say add "this" directory and label it "this" and then its up to you to use your own scrapers for stuff that isn't music, movies or TV. So I had Comedians, Concerts, Cartoons, Home Movies and Exercise for other categories. They made a tool that would extract a thumbnail from the first "..." seconds of the video and it was great. And if you wanted you could make your own .xml that had metadata in it.... Plus all of those were not in with my Movies or TV.

This should be something that should be added.

And yes the Price is amazing! FREEEEEEEE! I hated that everything for MediaBrowser was going to Premuim so you had to pay like $10 for every theme after 10 days! Rip Off if you use different themes! But here once I'm done I'll be making some donations to the definite deserving!
Sure.. I've done it 36 times...scanned in a folder, plopped down a different name on it... but I didn't scrape it if the subject matter wouldn't scrape.

Mediabrowser has come a long way... from the many crashes... add-ons that take out my system etc, a nightmare to figure out; so let's not go there. XBMC has the tool to grab a video frame seconds in... and make it a cover... (what skin are you using?) Mine defaults to that.. if I don't provide a cover. I did an inquiry many moons ago as to why someone had not written a script to call the .nfo in focus into your fav editor...and as it turns out the devs have their hands full. As it is; there is no shortage of 3rd party media manipulators that can massage your.nfo and put a very pretty face on just about anything.

From what I've been told.... devs listen closely to donators, give'm some slack.

Ok so if I creat nfo's could I add those categories without them adding to movies?
Sorry I haven't got back to this thread in a while...I blame it on teething problems with the new forum search functions... by this time I'm sure you're committed to some work around.. Suffice to answer your last question... you can have whatever you want in XBMC.. as long as it's in the path. But it will not be in the library unless you add those .nfo files, and that means it will show in the movies. If they are not in the library... you lose nice library functions like smartplaylists. But in the main most of the functions I value are available from file mode.

I do have a number of folders that are NOT in the library... yet are accessed all the time from the home page. These folders are either marked 'do not scan' and are filled with odds & sods, and when accessed... in video/filemode I get the folder.jpg and fanart.jpg showing up along with a list of the media. Then I have a whole whack of cartoons, and most of the TV series that I've already seen, and just don't want them adding to the already large library. Some skins allow for sub menu's of direct file lists outside the normal drive path lists...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Easy way to add Custom Menu Item without adding to movies also?0