Event Server Port

Gd day,

Using Eden RC2. 11.10 x32. Dual-Head under different users, seperate x-screens. I am using VLC on the 2nd x-screen wout problems but want to go full XBMC and am even thinking abt getting another video card to go triple-head. My current GT430 can easily decode 2 x 1080p concurrently. However I am stuck with remote control issues. I use the excellent Official Android remote but there is a limitation in that it can only fully control one instance per IP. I can switch between instances and start and stop movies using a different HTTP port, and go forward and back using the slider, but I can only ’control’ (pause/stop etc) one instance - which seems to be the first one to fire up. I assume this is because the event server UDP is hard coded at 9777 and there seems to be no facility to change it.

This is disappointing since I forsee no reason why, even on my cheapo Core2Duo at 2.2Mhz with 2GB RAM, you could not run upto 4 seperate instances and have a really powerful HTPC/Server. IMO nothing beats the Android Remote - it’s really a superb piece of software and very intuitive for the whole family to use, requires no extra cabling, is dirt cheap bcos it’s on your phone which also means u never lose it.

So, have I missed something? Given the quality that XBMC provides overall i assume that there is a very good reason why the user cannot change the event server port. Are there any plans to change this? Or is there a workaround?

I’ve searched and lurked but can’t find an answer. There similar questions posted, like here but they’ve gone unanswered. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

T
Hmmm...I dislike bumping, but there have have been similar unanswered questions so I am not alone with this issue. I've tested the Spooky XBMC remote which works fine on multi-head in initial testing, but the official remote is so much slicker...

So....

Bump!

T
Any news on this??
guisettings.xml -> services -> <esport>9777</esport>
@davilla

You're a star....tks a lot! I left one head on HTTP 8080 and Event Server Port 9777 and set another to 8082 and 9778 - they appeared to work fine in an initial test. I am abs positive I searched all .xmls for '9777' to find this setting...must have been yet another late night senior moment Wink

The file is here case anyone gets lost. Doan forget to enable 'view hidden files' to see the directories that start with a "."
Code:
~/.xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml

I now have the Official, Spooky and the very promising Yatse remote to choose from...excellent!

Cheers
T

I have strong grep-fu Smile
(2012-03-16, 11:26)TiberiusT Wrote: Gd day,

Using Eden RC2. 11.10 x32. Dual-Head under different users, seperate x-screens. I am using VLC on the 2nd x-screen wout problems but want to go full XBMC and am even thinking abt getting another video card to go triple-head. My current GT430 can easily decode 2 x 1080p concurrently. However I am stuck with remote control issues. I use the excellent Official Android remote but there is a limitation in that it can only fully control one instance per IP. I can switch between instances and start and stop movies using a different HTTP port, and go forward and back using the slider, but I can only ’control’ (pause/stop etc) one instance - which seems to be the first one to fire up. I assume this is because the event server UDP is hard coded at 9777 and there seems to be no facility to change it.

This is disappointing since I forsee no reason why, even on my cheapo Core2Duo at 2.2Mhz with 2GB RAM, you could not run upto 4 seperate instances and have a really powerful HTPC/Server. IMO nothing beats the Android Remote - it’s really a superb piece of software and very intuitive for the whole family to use, requires no extra cabling, is dirt cheap bcos it’s on your phone which also means u never lose it.

So, have I missed something? Given the quality that XBMC provides overall i assume that there is a very good reason why the user cannot change the event server port. Are there any plans to change this? Or is there a workaround?

I’ve searched and lurked but can’t find an answer. There similar questions posted, like here but they’ve gone unanswered. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

T

Just out of curiosity is the cpu/ram/gpu usage much different when playing video vs audio?

CPU usage is minimal with video since VDPAU does all the decoding. I actually got 4 head running the other day on the bench with the GT430 and a 8500GT both playing 2 x 1080p (4 concurrent HD movies with audio) - though the 8500 struggled a bit playing 2 simultaneously. At the same time I fired up Banshee and played music, and also Qbittorrent was down/up loading abt 10 things, (using VNC4server X-screens). CPU usage was abt 35pct doing all of that. 4GB RAM on 32bit OS was abt half used. Controlling 4 x XBMCs with different Event Servers also worked fine. So, the theory of 4 x multihead is on a budget feasible.
However I can't report further since as testing continued X started having issues finding the cards on boot for some odd reason and then....bang! No boot...no post, just whirring fans. Board is dead...maybe I was asking too much - but it was a 5 yr old board. RIP my son. I've got to start again Sad

T

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Event Server Port0