Feedback on new HTPC build
Video 
Well I finally got sick of using my laptop as a htpc so I'm going to build a dedicated box.

So far this is the build I am considering any feedback would be most welcome

Case: Silver stone Grandia GD06
CPU/Mobo: ASUS E45M1-I-DELUXE M-ITX Motherboard
Ram: Corsair CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3
PSU: Corsair CX-430 V2 Power Supply
SSD: currently unsure on this thinking 30gb other than that no idea yet
HDD: initially 2x Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB ST2000DL003 or Western Digital Green 2TB WD20EARX 3tb are just to costly at this time.

That's the core build designed for the 56inch Sony bra via TV in the lounge, if anyone has any suggestions or feedback I'd be most interested
(2012-03-16, 14:55)nullscience Wrote: CPU/Mobo: ASUS E45M1-I-DELUXE M-ITX Motherboard
Great choice for a mini-itx build...

(2012-03-16, 14:55)nullscience Wrote: PSU: Corsair CX-430 V2 Power Supply
For a low power consumption E-450, you can opt for a 200w-300w PSU instead.

(2012-03-16, 14:55)nullscience Wrote: SSD: currently unsure on this thinking 30gb other than that no idea yet
For W7+XBMC, you'll be fine with 30gb because you'll use other hard drive for storage anyway.

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Yeah psu was due having a hard time finding a lower capacity one in Australia without hassles
OK so after looking at far to many benchmarks I've got a dilemma the E450 is passive and low power however will it be able to handle 1080 rips and run sabnzb background services so that new content can be directly pulled down onto the htpc ?

Or do I spend a little more and go with the AMD A6 3500 Triple Core Fusion + the new ASUS F1A75-I Deluxe Mini ITX Motherboard ( essentially a version of the e450s motherboard for the FM1 CPU)

Main downside of the a6 is increased power usage and the need for active cooling .

Thanks in advance Smile
First off why suck a big case?
Mainly due to the amount of drives it can hold and the active cooling ability I'm open to suggestions on the case front main requirements are 4 hdd's and 1 SSD minimum capacity as I am trying to keep it as stand alone as possible from the rest of the systems in the house.

All so needs to blend into a black glass TV cabinet with other AV equipment as my partner refuses to have mess in the lounge and doesn't want any conventional PC equipment cluttering it up.
well if u need that much storage, and dont want to get an unRAID server box,
i guess your chosen case will suit you ok,
I would love to do a minimal box streaming from an unRAID box however the issue would be how to get content for the unRAID server as I do not believe you can run SABNZB from unRAID and this would
then mean a 3rd box, if there is a solution for Usenet with unRAID I would be very tempted to go down that road as 80% of my media is Usenet sourced.
If you have room in the cabinet, the bigger case is better. You'll have more room for upgrades and better air flow too....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-03-18, 05:23)nullscience Wrote: I do not believe you can run SABNZB from unRAID

respectfully disagree

http://www.lockstockmods.net/2010/06/03/...sickbeard/
As I stated "I Believe" thanks for the link Mr.sparkle I'll look into it :-)
Well after much research I think I have settled on the following points.

Going to keep all in one as I honestly don't have the time to play around trying to get sabnzb and sick beard ect runing on unraid.

Looking at the A6 3670 APU as it gives the extra grunt to ensure I don't run into to many issues streaming.

May have found a source of reasonable price 3tb drives so I'll just drop one in to start and add more once prices drop further or I run out of space on the first one.

Thinking Asus F1 A75 V Pro motherboard due to small size and onboard wifi.

Going to stay with the case mentioned earlier unless another option can be suggested that has a similar capacity for drives.

Main headache at the moment is the PSU the corsair apparently has some issues with droop at certain voltages

Anyway just a quick update while on my way to work I'll post more as it comes to mind.

And again thanks for all the feed back so far its been very good food for thought.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Feedback on new HTPC build0