Win Portable XBMC USB Drive?
Hi,

I was wondering if the following was possible.

I'd like to make my USB disk a portable XBMC station so I can bring it to friends as a plug & play XBMC device.

- Not all PC's will assign the same letter to the drive, causing the library to look for files in the wrong place. Is it possible to let, say, place XBMC in my media folder and let it simply look for XBMC folder /movies etc. instead of the full E:\XBMC folder\Movies?

I have not tested the -P method yet, however. Is it possible to simply place the XBMC executable on a disk drive and start it on a different PC?

greetings,
Mathijs
Yes, if you use portable mode all the settings XBMC needs are stored in the XBMC app directory. Provided your friends PC meets a few basic requirements e.g. having DirectX9 installed, XBMC will just work.

JR
Hi,

I've tried it yesterday and it worked perfectly. My second problem (with varying drive letters) is fixed by adding all my media into the portable folder created by -P and adding sources through the 'home library' option while adding sources.

It didn't start up because of some missing dlls, installing XBMC on the PC fixed the problem which means I'll just require a XBMC installer in the same folder in these cases and install it on the PC.

It's perfect :-)) A portable XBMC executable which I can bring to friends to watch movies/tv shows!
Good to hear you got it working!

I am trying to acheive the same. When you say you carry an installer is that because you have to install it on whichever freinds PC you want to use it? Does'nt that make it not portable?

I found my friends were missing some drivers aswell but dont want the hassle of installing on every machine.
Yeah they were missing some drivers, which is why I'm carrying the installer exe on the drive as well. Installing only takes about 2 minutes, so It's well worth the hassle for me.
(2012-03-16, 20:34)jhsrennie Wrote: Yes, if you use portable mode all the settings XBMC needs are stored in the XBMC app directory. Provided your friends PC meets a few basic requirements e.g. having DirectX9 installed, XBMC will just work.

JR

JR

This seems to be a relatively hot topic lately... it might be a good idea to post a sticky in this forum, something like "Read This to Understand XBMC Portable Mode for Windows"

then a brief explanation of what works, and a pointer to the Wiki?
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Everyone might be interested in this.

The only drivers I found are missing are the ones from

Direct X
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/...aspx?id=35

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/...px?id=5555
(HAS TO BE 32BIT, it took me an install on an old xp machine to relize this, do not waste your time installing the 64bit one.

If you install these it should run portable off the drive with the -p switch.

MV1990 - in relation to drive letters, what is the exact location you put all your media. I am having the same problem. Does it have to be in the portable_data folder or just anywhere within XBMC directory.

Cheers!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Portable XBMC USB Drive?0