XBMCBuntu and Virtual Desktop
Thanks for the sudo synaptic in a terminal suggestion! Works well enough for my purposes.
I didn't wont to open new thread for this as I used info in this thread before to install Nomachine on my htpc.

I tried today but when i enter "wget http://64.34.161.181/download/3.5.0/Linu...7_i386.deb" in my ssh terminal it does not connect to server, i guess something changed on their end.

Can somebody pls help, Thank you Smile
get the current links at http://www.nomachine.com/download-packag...od_Id=3773
vikjon0 thanks Smile
nice, just got this working. I have my xbmcbuntu rig just sitting idle all the time when I am not using it watch movies. There is so much more it could be doing.
Hi All,

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I've recently installed XBMCbuntu (Gotham release) and then put NoMachine (latest 4.2) on top.
Working very well for remote desktop and I can happily control my XBMC install via NoMachine - both in XBMC standalone and using the Desktop.
In fact, performance is very good indeed - even over the WAN.

The only issue I have is a lack of sound! I know that NoMachine would usually use pulseaudio but can fall back to ALSA if pulseaudio is not installed.

It seems that XBMCbuntu does not have pulseaudio installed and I can't seem to install it (and to be honest, sound output is very happily working through HDMI to my TV anyway, so I don't want to disturb it too much!)

I've checked all my volume levels using alsamixer and nothing is muted, I've also tried changing the audio output device in XBMC from HDMI to the onboard Intel without success.

Can anyone suggest why NoMachine is unable to 'capture' audio from xbmc?

Thanks
probably because alsa device access is exclusive. if xbmc is using the device, no other process can.
(2014-05-08, 14:52)wsnipex Wrote: probably because alsa device access is exclusive. if xbmc is using the device, no other process can.

Wouldn't it be a virual device for passing to the client? Or you mean it does not get read access?

Quote:If PulseAudio is not available on the system, NoMachine can use ALSA, the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture. So, on the server side, NoMachine captures PulseAudio output, or ALSA output, compresses it and sends the audio streaming to the client.
https://www.nomachine.com/FR07E01796

I would probably test first in a std ubuntu desktop. If working, try to remove pulse audio.
Thanks for your input guys.

It looks like this is my issue:

https://www.nomachine.com/TR10K03969

Because I'm using the free version, I'm connecting to the physical desktop, so ALSA is not supported. Sad

EDIT: OK, so can I put PulseAudio into XBMCbuntu?
I read it is possible in Gotham.

It looks like nomachine has dropped the free version completely.
It IS possible and I've just done it.

You do need PulseAudio though, so no hi-fidelity sound passthrough on XBMC if you're an audiophile...!

But I'm not, so this works just fine for me. I simply installed PulseAudio, then reinstalled NoMachine.
Choose the PulseAudio server in the sound output part of XBMC and you're away.

Haven't had a chance to test locally though, so I've no idea if there's any sound issues with my HDMI yet!! Smile
Waking up older thread

NoMachine is not offering free download of 3.x software.
New 4.x software (free version) does not offer virtual desktop anymore.

Same question comes back.
How can I login remotly to XBMC machine and get graphical desktop without interrupting XBMC desktop?
So basically how to login remotly and work on virtual desktop?

My first thought was that linux supports this out of the box so I dont need commercial software (Nomachine)
But it seems that it is not so easy(easy/efficient).

I am looking for suggestions and/or ready to use solutions that can be implemented on ubuntu.
thx
Yes, not too happy about that.
Of the free NX options X2GO seem to be the only one that is painless to install on Ubuntu 14.04.
It works but not as good as nx 3 free version.

Not sure if there is any better options.
Thx
That worked really well
I put X2GO server on two xbmc machines (xubuntu +xbmc)
I connect from work using windows client.
Works like a charm.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCBuntu and Virtual Desktop0