Freezing and crashing on RC2
Hi,

I have XBMCbuntu with Eden RC2. I'm having constant issues with XBMC crashing entirely. I didn't spend much time on RC1, so I'm not sure if these issues are specific to RC2. I'm going to downgrade and find out.

The crashes occur under a variety of circumstances, but i was able to recreate and debug one of the more common ones. When watching trailers through The Trailers, on about the 10th trailer, video won't start. Five seconds later the sound starts, and then if I try to select anything the system freezes. Full debug log linked. Thanks so much for any assistance.

http://pastebin.com/Ce9DaHAy
Can you use gdb and grab a backtrace? Can't get much out of the Debug Log alone unfortunately.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Having the same issue and it's happening in any videos. Seemingly random crash when selecting a video. Audio starts to play, but video never starts and then xbmc completely locks up and has to be killed with a killall -9. I'll also try to get a crashlog and backtrace next time it happens.
Same here. Not a specifiable movie, movie-resolution, Video-add-on or something else, seems random, but only when STARTING to watch a movie/video.

After the Screen freezes you can also kill X using SSH-Connection which will automatically restart X (and in my case also restarts XBMC). Then you can try again watching a movie till the next freeze...

System:
AMD X2 250
Nvidia GT 430 (Driver: 295.20 from Ubuntu-x-swat)
2GB RAM

Ubuntu 11.10 - 32bit
XBMC 11.0 RC2
(2012-03-17, 02:05)evanl81 Wrote: The crashes occur under a variety of circumstances, but i was able to recreate and debug one of the more common ones. When watching trailers through The Trailers, on about the 10th trailer, video won't start. Five seconds later the sound starts, and then if I try to select anything the system freezes. Full debug log linked. Thanks so much for any assistance.
I had exactly the same symptoms:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=124962

after upgrading ubuntu server minimal from "11.10" to "12.04" the issue has gone away. Like I wrote I don't know who to blame.

When system seems freezed, just for curious, try quickly to switch from fullscreen mode to windowed and see if the video appears again.

There are a couple of problems related to current nvidia drivers and multi threaded applications. We have observed many crashes on nvidia systems when UPnP was enabled. Try to disable UPnP client and server functions.
I've disabled some time ago:

UPnP
VAAPI
Sync Playback to Display (after disabling this, the crashes have significantly reduced, but still occur)

Still have crashes/freezes Sad

Wondering if the Update to "12.04" will really solve this crashes?
@joethefox: how long are you running "12.04" without crashes?
(2012-03-17, 14:01)Pyromaniac Wrote: @joethefox: how long are you running "12.04" without crashes?
about seven days or less (10 march if I remember well). No freeze. No one. And I watch TV every day with xbmc.

EDIT: To remark 12.04 is still beta. I don't want to invite no one to install a beta software. I've reported my experience. Make backups. Make backups. Make backups. Big Grin

hm, sounds good to me...

yeah "12.04" is BETA, but if it works, it is worth a try Smile (with backups of course Wink ) may bee I will try this weekend.

and just to know: you are using 64bit Ubuntu, right?
yes, 64bit ubuntu and as bonus with Sync Playback to Display enabled still no crashes (but this is independent from the upgrading to 12.04. Even this was resolved for me, I think was solved by xbmc team some weeks ago)
I'm going to do an upgrade to 12.04 right now and see how it goes (been running on my laptop for a 2 couple weeks). Will report back in a bit.
have you tried if the trick "from fullscreen to windowed" works? before upgrading try this, just to see if it you have the same behavior as mine.
Interesting.

If I cause the video to hang and go windowed, video resumes.
If I then go back fullscreen, video continues.

I then cycled through my movies to reproduce the issue a second time in the same process lifetime, and instead did a stop on the video, which caused a full freeze in xbmc, and it wouldn't accept keyboard input any longer. This is a typical crash for me, where the video freezes and the wife does something and xbmc completely faults.

I killed xbmc process, but restarted but wasn't able to reproduce the initial freeze.

After a reboot, I was able to reproduce the freeze and confirmed for a second time that going to windowed would thaw the video/audio, and going back to fullscreen would continue to work.
You have exactly the same problem that I had!

I cannot guarantee at 100%, but in my case a
Code:
$ sudo do-release-upgrade -d

has definitely solved the issue.

Let's see what happens to those who take this option
Could someone who observes this issue post a full debug log?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Freezing and crashing on RC21