• 17(current)
AMD Fusion based hardware for a HTPC?
I personally use Ubuntu 10.10 on all my machines, because that is the most recent version with repo packages:

https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archive/ppa

Another tip- start with Ubuntu minimal and build up.

Like, seriously, XBMC's not for 11.04/11.10 yet? Sad
I hope I can force it with ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/unstable/ubuntu natty in my ocelot.
Maybe there's a not well known source for more recent distro XBMC packages. They should be tweaked for VAAPI since we're at it. Big Grin
I read rumours on this forum that https://launchpad.net/~henningpingel/+archive/xbmc has 11.04 packages, but according to the page itself it does not.

Thanks for the tip, I will check my options out and see if it's not too much trouble to add everything needed for a bit of peace. Smile
Try Xubuntu. It's the new Ubuntu.
I have XBMC running under ubuntu 11.04 on my AMD E-350.

It doesn't handle 720P video output, the video will lag and is un-watchable, I am currently running the open source drivers which dont have all the features the closed source catlyst drivers are. So im going to update 11.04 then give the catalyst drivers a go.
Well,on my Asrock E350M1/USB3 Openelec is running smoothly using dev. release 8057 at the moment (Dharma). Power consumption is approx. 40 Watts.
Smooth 1080 HD video playback without lag, audio connected to Home Theatre using optical output. To be honest, I don't agree with most complaints in this thread.
I think the Openelec dev team has done a great job until now but XBMC/Openelec is still under some serious development to support the new AMD cpu's.

On the other hand, if you just don't feel like updating every week, stay away from new AMD architecture and go for proven technology like intel 6950 with a simple asrock mobo.
imho on this subject.

AMD released their 64b code to the linux community. It's the only reason we have 64b linux. If you use linux you should support AMD "in spirit".

AMD is betting everything on their new APUs going up against intel's integrated graphics. Of course the linux community is an afterthought as usual.

AMD is even planning on pushing their APU's onto tablets going up against ARM. Intel has nothing to counter AMD in this field atm.

Last year laptops outsold desktops. Desktops are simply not as profitable. Hence both x86 cpu manufactures are going for enhanced integrated graphics.

How else can you explain craptastic apple's success? Smaller is more profitable.

Nvidia is being left out in the cold for integrated graphics. They will be left to the realm of discrete enthusiasts cards.

Sadly as technology becomes more advanced the layman becomes more ignorant. They want instant gratification w/o learning anything about the technology they use everyday. Instant gratification = integrated graphics.

Most of you may feel like I do that cpu's are no longer the bottleneck on most systems. Like I need a 4ghz octacore to run a webbrowser and use a wordprocessor.

As things get smaller integrated graphics will be more important vs discrete.

TL/DR Nvidia is in trouble, AMD is pushing Intel pretty hard with their new APUs. Buying ATI and working on the gaming consoles was a very smart move for AMD.
tjones Wrote:TL/DR Nvidia is in trouble, AMD is pushing Intel pretty hard with their new APUs. Buying ATI and working on the gaming consoles was a very smart move for AMD.

That's the 2010 TL;DR version. The 2011 TL;DR is that NVIDIA are moving elsewhere (including the non-x86 market), and AMD is in deep trouble due to their inability to execute.

Intel are struggling to get into the handheld market, AMD have no hope (Intel are leaps ahead, and still way behind ARM). ARM is where it's at and that's where NVIDIA are going.

On the desktop, if you want low-power, decent performance CPU and good-enough GPU, Intel have almost all of this now and if AMD continue to misfire like they have been recently, they're toast.

All IMHO of course Big Grin
Damn you're right I totally forgot about the nvidia arm stuff.
I've been running an A8-3850 on Win7 x64. Absolutely no problems with it so far. Very happy with the purchase.
I recently upgraded our whole house to amd apus. 2xC50 netbooks(9w), asus mini itx 1xE350(18w) media pc/server, 2xA8-3850(100w) desktops. No regrets to my purchases so far. Of course I used asus mini itx boards for the desktops. Got goodies like 128gb marvell controller sata3 ssds for the desktops. (used the extra cash from buying intel + discrete card to have an ssd upgrade).

Intel didn't have any offerings that came close imo. Even then I'd have to forgo a ~480Mb/s read ssd.

I don't need intel power hog w/o comparable graphics to amd.

The world is getting smaller.
I have a MSI e350 mb with 3 2TB Samnsung hd's which was previously installed as a (Free)NAS server with ZFS-raid. Now I'm trying to rebuild this as a mediacenter. I tried to install the XBMCbuntu from xmbcfreak using unetbootin and from USB. This is a light Ubuntu variant and this works from USB. But after I installing I can not startup, I get something like this:
EFI Shell version 2.10 [1.1]
Current running mode 1.1.2
Device mapping table
fs0 :BlockDevice - Alias f21b blk0
Pci Root (0x0) /Pci(0x1f,0x1)/Ata(Primary,Slave,0x0)
blk0 :BlockDevice - Alias f21b fs0
blk1 :CDRom - Alias (null)
Pci Root (0x0) /Pci(0x1f,0x1)/Ata(Primary,Slave,0x0)/CDROM(0x0,0x141,0x4)
blk2 :BlockDevice - Alias (null)
blk3 :BlockDevice - Alias (null)

Press ESC in x seconds to skip startup.nsh, any other key to continue.
Shell> _

Help would be appreciated.
Mattve Wrote:I have a MSI e350 mb with 3 2TB Samnsung hd's which was previously installed as a (Free)NAS server with ZFS-raid. Now I'm trying to rebuild this as a mediacenter. I tried to install the XBMCbuntu from XBMCfreak using unetbootin and from USB. This is a light Ubuntu variant and this works from USB. But after I installing I can not startup, I get something like this:
EFI Shell version 2.10 [1.1]
Current running mode 1.1.2
Device mapping table
fs0 :BlockDevice - Alias f21b blk0
blk0 :BlockDevice - Alias f21b fs0
blk1 :CDRom - Alias (null)
Pci Root (0x0) /Pci(0x1f,0x1)/Ata(Primary,Slave,0x0)/CDROM(0x0,0x141,0x4)
blk2 :BlockDevice - Alias (null)
blk3 :BlockDevice - Alias (null)

Press ESC in x seconds to skip startup.nsh, any other key to continue.
Shell> _

Help would be appreciated.

So you completely deleted all partitions/slices on the HDDs, repartitioned then and formatted them?
Yes, I did also checked with gparted.
Already solved; the bios was causing this. Changed the EFI settings in the bios.
Hi all,
I have a big problem...I am unable to install it, it will just hang, and pop to a menu asking for what to do next, and no matter what you select is begins installing to the system.

Anyone an idea?
--
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD Fusion based hardware for a HTPC?2