Keeping XBMC on top in Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Hello folks! Title says it all really Smile

Is there a way for me to force XBMC to stay in front of all other windows? I've read about the "advancedsettings.xml" file but I can't seem to get it to work: The wiki says "alwaysontop" only works under 32-bit Windows so that kinda figures. The third-party software I've found so far must be activated manually after each boot - way too much hassle. Plus, it's another bit of software to run for a function which I feel I should be able to realize with less overhead.

So yeah... Help?
You can try these two options below:

1. "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -fs -d 10 (to force full screen and delay startup)

2. Startup as "Maximized" as shown below:

Whichever option work best for your HTPC, you can keep that option.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Hey bluray, thanks for the response but it's not a startup issue (though I might use that delay trick to ensure TVService has time to start up - cheers!) The problem occurs mostly when I operate Spotify through the Remoteless app on my iPad. It makes Spotify jump to the foreground and then I need to access the taskbar or alt-tab to return to XBMC. I should have been more specific, sorry. I'm thinking it will also be a headache with other programs, balloon notifications, etc.

Between Remoteless and Constellation I can operate my HTPC entirely from the iPad, which is something of a dream come true. I love getting rid of remotes, and I've got this thing on the couch all day anyway. Thing is, I use Spotify with Remoteless so I can play music with the TV off. But then, when I want to watch something, I have to bring XBMC back to the foreground and that messes with my zen Smile

I've used MediaPortal for a couple of years now and it has the option to stay on top, but I got tired of messing with codecs. XBMC does exactly what I want... Except for staying where I want it.
Works fine with win32 and win64 for me... Window remains on top.
with something like this in the Advancedsettings.xml:

<advancedsettings>
<alwaysontop>true</alwaysontop>
</advancedsettings>
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Well, I tried the XML again but no luck. Spotify seems very aggressive in coming to the top. Oddly enough, it does stay tucked behind MediaPortal when I run that. I'd like to stick with XBMC though, it's been working much better for me so far. I'm stumped.
Well if nothing else is working... I use AutoHotkey to set focus to hulu desktop when it launches so I'm sure you can use this for xbmc as well. You can have AutoHotkey launch when the computer is started and the following code will give focus and maximize xbmc when it's started. Hope this helps!

Loop
{
IfWinExist, XBMC
{WinActivate, XBMC
}
{WinMaximize, XBMC
}
{WinWaitClose, XBMC
}
}
There are two options, you can tweak your registry settings in windows...or use AutoHotKey as mentioned above...I tweaked the registry for windows 7 my first time...but after installing windows 8 I decided to go the AHK route and I must say it is not only easier, but because you can reverse it, its better since there may be times you dont want xbmc to be on top...there is actually a great app in the AHK repository called Min2Tray ...

the insert hyperlink button aint working but here is the link http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/topic4418.html

I use this script and it works great, and you can choose the key combo that makes it make windows always on top with a nice and easy UI

PS...You could also use Min2Tray to minimize a program to the system tray
Neat, I haven't written script since the heady days of qbasic faux-DOS-prompt shenanigans Big Grin I'll give that a try tonight. Thanks!
Looks like the AHK script works! I had to take out the WinWaitClose line though. Not entirely sure what that did, but it works OK now Smile

Of course, now Remoteless is giving me grief, but it doesn't look like the issues are connected. Assuming Remoteless sorts itself out, I'm money.

Thanks for all the help guys!
would be nice if the developers of xbmc lern once and for all how to force and set prio of a screen in windows. But after soo many years and still failing I bet it never going to happend..
there are tons of games using directx doing the trick every day like starcraft2 that even when ya tabbe outside in windows watching a movie they can bring up the full screen windows when a match for a game is going to start.

this problem should be a prio 1 to fix before even starting with eden.
We can do this and have done it. just go to System settings, System, Video and enable "Use a fullscreen window instead of true fullscreen".

JR
(2012-03-25, 16:58)jhsrennie Wrote: We can do this and have done it. just go to System settings, System, Video and enable "Use a fullscreen window instead of true fullscreen".

JR

If that was the solution I would not spent 10 hours trying to find a solution and finally gave up on AMD with built in GFX card to switch for Intel with built in GFX card that works better but still I noticed this problem, but a lot more rare.

So that is not a working solution, just a work around that works for some system better and other system it dose not work for at all.

fableman: Well, if you're going to be a dick about it, don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.
I would post a reply to fableman but seeing as he is banned I guess it doesn't matter...I think the original question however was about having a smaller window of XBMC stay on top of all other windows (unless I read it wrong) but this was a problem I had to tackle for my first XBMC install and was the reason I joined the forum to begin with...the problem here is more because of how microsoft windows handles...well...windows...OSs like ubuntu for linux give options to make any window always be on top but for some reason microsoft has refused to add this amazing feature. However, either the registry edit workaround and the Auto Hot Key solution mentioned on the first page will both help any of those single monitored XBMC HTPC computer users like myself...which one to use is more personal prefference...however the easier of the two is deff the Min2Tray program (just copy the program .exe file and paste a shortcut into the startup folder so that it starts when windows starts automatically)...because sometimes it is nice to google something while watching an old tv show and still be able to see what is happening.
Wouldn't you know it - my first thread here and someone gets himself banned on it. It's ok, I seem to attract trainwrecks Smile

JR: I tried the true fullscreen and found that, instead of XBMC taking a "step back" to another screen, it reduces to the task bar. It seems the trouble is not so much in window/fullscreen mode as it is in keeping Windows' focus on XBMC when other programs come knocking.

I'll agree with fableman on one thing: it would be nice if a solution could be implemented directly into XBMC, either forcing the program to stay on top like MediaPortal does, or immediately forcing it back to the front like AHK does. Thirdy party solutions are so... Messy.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Keeping XBMC on top in Windows 7 Home Premium x640