Some Help with HTPC build
Hi guys,

I love XBMC and have been using it for several months now with a PC that I built with the cheapest/most value components available at the time (AMD E-350 build). However, I decided that wanted more gaming possibilities (emulation up to PS2 or modern games at med-high settings) so I've been researching for possible builds. In addition, I was thinking about repurposing my E-350 build as a server with SABnzbd/CouchPotato/Sick Beard capabilities, that possible?

I am in no means an expert, so if you can provide some criticism or some advice/suggestions on what to do, that would be really great and help me pull the trigger.

HTPC Build (borrowing from eskro's build/thread) Note: $0 means that I already had the item from a previous build

[CPU+iGPU] AMD A8-3850 APU Quad-Core Processor (AD3850WNGXBOX) $125.32
[MOBO]ASRock MB-A75M Socket FM1/ AMD A75 FCH/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ Micro ATX Motherboard $74.99
[CASE] SilverStone Aluminum/Steel Micro ATX Media Center/HTPC Case ML03B (Black) $59.99
[PSU]SilverStone Strider 400W, 80 PLUS, Active PFC Power Supply ST40F-ES (Black) $48.99
[RAM]Kingston Technology HyperX 4 GB Kit (2x2 GB Modules) 4 Dual Channel Kit 1600 (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX $31.99
[SSD]Corsair Nova Series 2 CSSD-V60GB2 2.5" 60GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive $0

Question 1: Is an optical drive really necessary if I already installed the OS on the SSD?
Question 2: For this case, I was thinking about getting 2 fans for the case+ a fan to replace the stock cooler on the CPU since it appears to be pretty loud. Do you guys have any suggestions or recommendations?

I'm still working on a server build, so I'll post that one later.

EDIT: i can't post links without telling me its spam.
You did your homework well. You'll enjoy your AMD A8-3850 HTPC. If you want to enjoy rental blu-ray disc from (Redbox, Blockbuster, Netflix, etc), BD-ROM is a must. I never build or buy any PC without BD-ROM. I have 3 PC's and 2 laptops in the house, and all of them have BD-ROM. As for the case fan, you can throw in a couple fans low dBA rating in it. It'll be very silent- ENERMAX UC-8EB 80mm Case Fan.

As for posting the link- why not using "Insert Hyperlink" option instead?
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-03-18, 21:53)bluray Wrote: You did your homework well. You'll enjoy your AMD A8-3850 HTPC. If you want to enjoy rental blu-ray disc from (Redbox, Blockbuster, Netflix, etc), BD-ROM is a must. I never build or buy any PC without BD-ROM. I have 3 PC's and 2 laptops in the house, and all of them have BD-ROM. As for the case fan, you can throw in a couple fans low dBA rating in it. It'll be very silent- ENERMAX UC-8EB 80mm Case Fan.

As for posting the link- why not using "Insert Hyperlink" option instead?

Thanks for the really quick reply! I really appreciate it the info and suggestions. I have a PS3 that plays blue-rays, but if a BD-ROM drive is not too expensive it wouldn't hurt to get one, so I'll definitely look into it.

I tried using the "Insert Hyperlink" option but I still had issues with it...maybe I had too many links (I originally had 5).
(2012-03-19, 02:45)kakouton Wrote: but if a BD-ROM drive is not too expensive it wouldn't hurt to get one, so I'll definitely look into it.
BD-ROM is very cheap now- LG GBC-H20N 6x Blu-ray BD-ROM.

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
wish i was in USA
Thanks again guys for the help. I got one more question, Would this work as a replacement for the stock CPU cooler on my cpu+motherboard?

Scythe SCBSK-2100 Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B CPU Cooler
yes
Thanks again for the help, I have now bought all those components and are on the way.

I have a few more questions.

1) Could I add a graphics card for crossfire and possible a little more oomph to gaming? I was looking at this one, Sapphire Radeon HD6770 1 GB DDR5 DVI/ HDMI/ DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card 100328L If you guys have a better card in mind, please let me know. I am no expert.

2) Could I add a cable card reader for PVR functionality as well? Ceton InfiniTV 4 Digital Cable Quad-tuner Card PCIe If there are better solutions/criticisms, I'd like to know.

3) If I buy both, would they fit on this motherboard? Do I need additional components?

Thanks in advance, I really value you guys' opinions. This forum and threads are amazing and informative reads. (gonna read up on adding CIR so my harmony remote can control that too)
(2012-03-19, 03:52)bluray Wrote:
(2012-03-19, 02:45)kakouton Wrote: but if a BD-ROM drive is not too expensive it wouldn't hurt to get one, so I'll definitely look into it.
BD-ROM is very cheap now- LG GBC-H20N 6x Blu-ray BD-ROM.

would this BD work in a SilverStone Aluminum/Steel Micro ATX Media Center/HTPC Case ML03B
my complete setup is in my sig.
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
It has a 5.25" in the front, so why not?
[quote='kakouton' pid='1056730' dateline='1332787776']
Thanks again for the help, I have now bought all those components and are on the way.

I have a few more questions.

2) Could I add a cable card reader for PVR functionality as well? Ceton InfiniTV 4 Digital Cable Quad-tuner Card PCIe If there are better solutions/criticisms, I'd like to know.

I would also like to know if this would work i am running windows 7 so far all the info i see is on Linux based.
what could i use to setup in xbmc (mythbox etc)
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
(2012-03-26, 21:02)Tycho91 Wrote: It has a 5.25" in the front, so why not?

because the power supply sits right behend where th bd is there is very little room in this case

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Some Help with HTPC build0