Couple of questions
Hi I'm a guy and I have couple of questions. I'm currently working on a project for school that involves building advanced dvd player. So my idea is to build dvd player and tv digital tuner in one.
I'm also planning to build custom IrDA reciever so I can control the pc. I'll add some led's and sensors that will adjust light according to how bright the room is as I plan to make the case for the pc from plexiglass, so it will be nice and shiny box.

Now my questions are.
As I saw in wiki that there is possability to run both XBMC and MythTV both as frontend, I failed to find any instructions how is it possible in first place, If someone would be kind enough to explain a bit to me regarding running those both on frontend pc. (I want to avoid using other pc's , make it as practical as possible)

Other is that is it possible to control XBMC with IrDA, as I researced LIRC it is kinda possible. Yet I would like to know how hard will it be to make script or something like that for XBMC

Also what about HD playback? Is it capable of playing HD movies?

Ps. Sorry for any grammar mistakes I did and hope for your help.

With best wishes.

Ps*2. Any more modification suggestions are always welcomed, as the project is for my graduation. I can't make it seem too easy now, but I would like to make it as multifunctional as possible
(2012-03-19, 21:03)A guy Wrote: Also what about HD playback? Is it capable of playing HD movies?

Yes. If you have the hardware... chances are you will have the hardware.

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
(2012-03-19, 21:36)pseudo7 Wrote:
(2012-03-19, 21:03)A guy Wrote: Also what about HD playback? Is it capable of playing HD movies?

Yes. If you have the hardware... chances are you will have the hardware.

Thank you for your answer and yes i will indeed. Any help on other questions?
Sorry, if I could I would have answered the others too.

Only thing I can do is point you towards the wiki article on mythtv PVR#MythTV (wiki)

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
I guess you're going to be running Linux so stick with nvidia for graphics, Google vdpau. There is a pvr branch of xbmc that allows you to use xbmc as a front end to mythtv but its not as feature rich as an actual mythtv front end (not yet, anyway) and xbmc has the ability to playback content and live TV using the myth:// protocol, but again not very feature rich. I have been thinking about having both mythtv and xbmc on my htpc and using a script to launch mythtv-frontend when xbmc is closed and launch xbmc when myth-frontend is closed and having this script repeat itself.

Also I strongly recommend the Sony playtv to use as a tuner (for dvb-t). I got one to replace some af9015 based tuners that never worked right and it hasn't skipped a beat.
Thanks for the replies guys. I really appreciate it.

As I understand from teeedubb's text currently there isn't many possabilities of using both XBMC and MythTV on same pc. It doesn't really need to be feature rich as I'm only using it to view the tv. Other stuff is currently unnessesary. My country uses dvb-c tuners. I don't think it will be much problem finding compatible tuner card as MythTV has somewhat wide range of cards it knows how to use or have i misunderstood something? XMBC will be only thing i want to use and get MythTV in it somehow, then use XMBC to communicate with MythTV that knows how to use the tuner card. So only thing that bugs me is to get both things on same HDD and I failed to find how they should work on same pc. I found alot of info with one being frontend and other backend and how to make one, which isn't quite useful in my case
I never liked MythTV...Windows Media Center is much better (more drivers, better scanning, easier to set up)

Just download windows 8 consumer preview, it is free and it is great

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windo...er-preview
(2012-03-20, 04:04)digitaltomj Wrote: I never liked MythTV...Windows Media Center is much better (more drivers, better scanning, easier to set up)

Just download windows 8 consumer preview, it is free and it is great

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windo...er-preview

Thank you for the reply.
I have the win 8. But I doubt I would be able to use WMC with XBMC as I want. I want XBMC to boot up as first and then communicate with either WMC or MythTV. That's my original idea tho
Edit: Would it possible to have them both up and running without killing each other to switch between them? Since killing and starting something requires time and I'm sure processor will be good enough to handle them both simultaneously
I see what you mean...I haven't tried it before but i think WMC tries too hard to be the super program that XBMC doesn't have to break a sweat to be...so WMC might not let you run a back end...I know I use WMC to record TV and then Lifesaver to delete the commercials, another program to name the show something actually understandable...and I just made the record folder a source to view it in xbmc...but I haven't tried to watch live tv with WMC in XBMC...Perhaps a neat work around is to use a skin such as transparency which will let you map an external program into the home screen and just mark it as "live tv"? You could also just put a shortcut of both XBMC and WMC into the startup folder so that they both start with windows, then map your remote with one button being the Alt-Tab command...But you may have to stay with linux to do anything that seems more streamlined.
Well your solution is quite for pc user. But what I'm building is more based on using like dvd player with some extra gadgets. So when user turning the machine on, they'd expect to use dvd player, not windows. But thank you for your ideas though I appreciate it
OpenELEC-PVR build + Sundtek MediaTV Digital Home (DVB-CT) + Tvheadend-LiveTV addons:
might be a way to go, you'll have a lot of IR devices to choose from.

Thread to follow:
http://openelec.tv/forum/19-feature-sugg...ome-dvb-ct
Thanks for the reply. I want to build my own ir receiver and transmitter, so it's not really nessesary to have ir device support. as I can get LIRC on the XBMC .

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Couple of questions0