Extremely inconsistent SMB access [Solution inside]
Hi there,

I've had my ATV2 for a few months now, jailbroke it right away and installed XBMC. It's been having problems from the start. But first off..

Platform: Darwin iOS (11.0.0 AppleTV2,1, Version 5.0.1 (Build 9A406a)
Install method: apt-get
[Expired] Log file: http://pastebin.com/iQhFJ1Ng (Login credentials replaced)

I use SMB for filesharing on my W7 Pro server (\\ZENITHSERVER from the log). I also use SMB to host the thumbnails and plugin data, I use XBMC on my PC and HTPC so I like to keep things completely in sync. Works fine on those two systems.

The ATV however doesn't want to work with SMB unless I reboot my server, then it'll work for a few hours. I don't want to have to restart my entire server for it to work, so I wrote a task to restart the Workstation and Computer Browser services every 3-hours. That should basically only restart the SMB service. However that doesn't work consistently.

When I browse for SMB sources it does find my computer and server (however that seems to vary quite a lot). Right now, when I want to browse my server for source I get "Operation timed out".

This renders my ATV2 useless, since it relies on SMB to access pretty much everything it needs. I can't quite grasp why it work sometimes, and why it doesn't most of the time. I already tried using the IP rather than the NetBIOS name.

SOLUTION: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1060307

Update 20-5-2012: Still works to this day Smile
I had the same type of inconsistencies. My testing also involve an Ubuntu workstation trying to connect to a Windows host, and I noticed Ubuntu had the same type of problems with SMB. What I ended up doing is changing the following Security Policies on my Win 7 host:
Network security: LAN Manager authentication level
--Send LM & NTLM responses

Network security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP
--Disable Require 128-bit encryption
Make sure to use the "smb://" part in your source, and use the IP address instead of the NetBIOS name.
That looks like a very promising solution! I applied the changes but nothing appeared to happen, so I rebooted to make sure the changes were active.
Since I rebooted XBMC works perfectly for now, so I'll see if it still works tomorrow.

Fingers crossed Smile
(2012-03-19, 22:37)Ned Scott Wrote: Make sure to use the "smb://" part in your source, and use the IP address instead of the NetBIOS name.

Both are used in my sources.xml file. However I've always been able to use the NetBIOS name despite this problem.
I just checked this morning and there's no SMB connection anymore. And I also checked now (which is 7-hours later) and it's still not working.

Still getting "unix_err:'3c' error : 'Operation timed out'" in the XBMC log...
I had those issues start after I updated to iOS 5. I downgraded back to 4.3 and problems went away after reinstall of 11.0 Eden.[/size]
So I could still run Eden Beta 2/3 on iOS 4.3? If that's the case and it'll fix this, then I'll do it. I only use the ATV interface to play music from my computer anyway.

I'll try it out! Unfortunately I don't have the SHSH blob from 4.3 since I got the ATV not so long ago.
I have been having this problem ever since Windows Vista - being unable to keep file shares to non-Windows machines working for more than a day or so after the file server computer reboots. As much of a pin in the @$$ as this was, I'd always figured the answer would be simple to find, and it STILL isn't.

The problem you are having is explained on this page: http://alan.lamielle.net/2009/09/03/wind...error-2017

Make the 2 small registry changes in that article and reboot the computer.

For those who do not want to read the article, or if it disappears, the registry changes are:

[HKeyLocalMachine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\LargeSystemCache]

Change from 0 to 1

[HKeyLocalMachine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\Size]

Change from 1 to 3

I applied the changes Friday night and rebooted the server. I checked on Saturday a few times and it works. Now, Sunday morning it still works!

So I'd say that last solution in an epic success! Big Grin

Thanks a bunch mvmiller, the ATV can stay now Smile
(2012-03-29, 23:41)mvmiller12 Wrote: I have been having this problem ever since Windows Vista - being unable to keep file shares to non-Windows machines working for more than a day or so after the file server computer reboots. As much of a pin in the @$$ as this was, I'd always figured the answer would be simple to find, and it STILL isn't.

The problem you are having is explained on this page: http://alan.lamielle.net/2009/09/03/wind...error-2017

For those who do not want to read the article, or if it disappears, the registry changes are:

[HKeyLocalMachine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\LargeSystemCache]

Change from 0 to 1

[HKeyLocalMachine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\Size]

Change from 1 to 3

Many thanks for the info - I've been suffering from this problem for ages now, will try it and will report back

(2012-04-01, 16:14)ady199 Wrote:
(2012-03-29, 23:41)mvmiller12 Wrote: I have been having this problem ever since Windows Vista - being unable to keep file shares to non-Windows machines working for more than a day or so after the file server computer reboots. As much of a pin in the @$$ as this was, I'd always figured the answer would be simple to find, and it STILL isn't.

Change from 0 to 1

Change from 1 to 3

Many thanks for the info - I've been suffering from this problem for ages now, will try it and will report back

For the first time in ages, I haven't had to reboot my desktop first thing in the morning to get my SMB share working again.

Fingers crossed this has solved the issue.

Maybe this should made a Sticky

Thanks again
It was still working this morning (I rebooted Friday night). So I'm confident that this solves the problem permanently Big Grin

Change from 0 to 1

Change from 1 to 3

I will vouch for this solution. I have an ATV 2 using SMB to a Windows 7 machine set as a file server. Operation always timed out especially after large file transfers any where on my LAN. Always had to restart my Windows machine to re-establish SMB. Implemented the same solution outlined here (I found it on a different forum) and VOILA. Haven't had to restart my file server since and it has been 3 weeks.

This should almost be added as a sticky.
Man this WORKED been having this problem for ages and yesterday my SMB shares stopped working all together from the ATV worked OK on the Pc and Laptop
but nothing on Both ATVs with nothing changed did this reg Fix and there back time will tell if they stay up THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!
This should definitely be a sticky, and also added to wiki.
I was about to stop buying macs, because of this SMB connectivity issue with XMBC.
This has been months of frustration!!

FYI, for those of you who have had to reboot their servers to get SMB connectivity working again,
you can also go run services.msc on the windows server, then restart the 'server' process. After doing that the mac can connect again.
Was about to write a server script to restart this service every few hours.

(2013-07-01, 19:22)Ram2000 Wrote: Man this WORKED been having this problem for ages and yesterday my SMB shares stopped working all together from the ATV worked OK on the Pc and Laptop
but nothing on Both ATVs with nothing changed did this reg Fix and there back time will tell if they stay up THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Extremely inconsistent SMB access [Solution inside]2