Video stutter / skip frames
Hi fellow XBMC users!

I've been using XBMC for a year now, and got a small problem with my HTPC and video lag. First I'd like to say that I've read hours upon hours on this specific problem, but none of the suggested solutions seems to help.

My HTPC runs on Windows 7 64 bit, and includes this hardware:

Motherboard - MSI H67MA-E45 (B3) H67 S-1155 M-ATX
CPU - INTEL CORE I3 2100T 2.50GHZ 3MB S-1155
Memory - CORSAIR 4GB DDR3 VALUE SELECT PC10666 1333MHZ (2X2GB)
GPU (bought later on as I thought this would solve my problem) - ASUS GeForce GT 520 1GB Silent PhysX
Harddrives - OCZ AGILITY 3 2.5" 60GB SSD SATA/600 MLC (for OS and programs), and 4x2TB for media
PSU - Seasonic X-560 GOLD

So when the new GPU didn't fix my problem, it kinda sucked. I've updated all my drivers as far as I know, and use hardware acceleration in XBMC. It's not a temperature issue either as it is around 50 C at maximum.

Screenshots of my XBMC video settings:

Screenshot of a movie playing:

On the last screenshot on the bottom line you can se that it sais "missed:27" and "error:25%". I don't know what that means, but I guess it's not positive.

Can anyone help me?

Ricbus,

If you're using Eden Beta 3 or any of the Release Candidates, you are experiencing a problem I ran into as well. As you can see from your pictures, XBMC isn't actually changing the refresh rate of your display. It stays at 60hz.

Thanks to bobo1on1, there is a tweak in the advancedsettings.xml file that you can set.

Code:
<advancedsettings>
   <video>
     <fpsdetect>2</fpsdetect>
   </video>
</advancedsettings>

Once you change this, it will change your refresh rate and you should see that the stuttering is gone.

BTW, don't worry much about the missed frames. Apparently, this happens even though there's no issue....

Hope this helps.
dclinder,

Thanks for the tip. I'm using Eden RC2. The 60hz refresh rate should be correct, since I took the screenshot on my computer monitor which is 60hz. I added the advancedsettings.xml file, and with only five minutes of testing it allready seems better Smile It looks like the fps is adjusting to give the right frames per second when it needs to.

I will look for stuttering more carefully next weekend, since it's easier to see it on a 50" tv than a 20" computer screen.

Thanks again!
Im borrowing the thread seeing as i have a similar problem and unfortunately haven't found any solution. Looking and the code and command lines in debug mode doesn't do me any good as i dont quite understand it all :-)

Basically it feels like my machine drops a few frames and has to compensate resulting in half a second or less of stutter. When it happens its not like lagging but more like theres no smooth playback duringt that 0.3-0.5sec.

I'll include a few pictures of my settings and the cmdline while running a video.

http://www12.speedy.sh/qTfeX/download/screenshot000.png

http://www12.speedy.sh/8am2e/download/screenshot001.png

http://www12.speedy.sh/cY6J2/download/screenshot002.png

Im running a zotac zbox ad10 nano plus (amd dual core 1.6 radeon 6310 2gb ram)

(2012-03-20, 18:32)cherrypoppe Wrote: Basically it feels like my machine drops a few frames and has to compensate resulting in half a second or less of stutter. When it happens its not like lagging but more like theres no smooth playback duringt that 0.3-0.5sec.

Sounds like the same problem I had or still have. Not sure yet as I have difficulties seeing it on my computer screen, but I also had it pre Eden so I belive it's still there.

In my case it's especially noticable if a scene of the movie is filmed while zooming in or out, moving horizontal etc. I will let you know if I still have the problem, and if I find a solution.

I'm currently at work but im going to try change the line that dclindner posted above and see if that can be a solution.

Problem is all im doing nowadays is watching videos looking for stutter i cant enjoy anything Big Grin

Anyway, i'll report back within the next hours to see if it got better.
Well i have watched i few videos for 5-10min each and i do see improvement. However i want to test a bit more before celebrating. i'll post sometime tomorrow with a conclusion
cherrypoppe, you also need to set the "Adjust display rate..." setting.

If you're interested in the theory of telecine judder, take a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine (section 2.4).
I do get improvement with these settings but a slight lag 2-3 times during a movie. Not sure its xbmc related though... can't notice any change in debug mode when its smooth and when the lag appears so that might be a windows problem.

However when i set adjust display rate setting i get black bars on both sides of the screen, when i uncheck it fills the screen, solution?
if i enter video calibration in the video i cant make the picture go over the black bars?

edit: had to change to 24hz in windows and set over/underscan bar to fit screen and then change back.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video stutter / skip frames0