Anyone thought of running XMBC on the Western Digital Live Media Hub?
My brother-in-law who has always been fascinated by my AppleTV emailed me that he's thinking of trying the WD Media Hub, and he sent me a link on Amazon. Looks like an ATV in the back LOL, has the power in, HDMI out, ethernet, component, and USB. Has a built-in 1TB drive and it apparently can daisy chain additional drives and its own remote. Firmware is upgradeable via the ethernet, and it does play 1080p. Almost sounds too good to be true and that's usually the case.

ImageImage

So I'm curious... anyone using this device or are XMBC developers thinking about it?

Doc
There's a lot of these out there in various shapes and forms. Nearly all of them aren't even possible since they lack certain fundamental basics that XBMC needs on any platform, such as OpenGL support.
...and that's the end of that chapter.
I have 1 WDTV & 1 WDTV LIVE in my house and I had a WDTV MINI.
I am 100% done with WDTV.
Their product support is poor. They stop releasing firmware and bug fixes a few months after a new product releases.
Their answer to product requests is to make NEW HARDWARE you have to buy instead of modifying the existing firmware.
I got tired of always upgrading and paying for features they could have added.

Now i built a HTPC running XBMC and will never look back. (Thanks ESKRO!)
(2012-03-21, 01:07)MarvinMar Wrote: I have 1 WDTV & 1 WDTV LIVE in my house and I had a WDTV MINI.
Their product support is poor. They stop releasing firmware and bug fixes a few months after a new product releases.
Their answer to product requests is to make NEW HARDWARE you have to buy instead of modifying the existing firmware.

+1
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
Can I stream from XBMC to WD media live hub??
...lol, I have about five of these things floating around my home including the HUB mentioned by the poster. I'm glad someone finally opened a thread addressing these machines and XBMC as i was curious myself. I cant say that I'm too disappointed with them except for the fact that the GUI on all versions is quite boring and you have to rely on Firmware updates from WD for any feature enhancements. If your looking for an inexpensive way to stream media in every room of your house(obviously you wont have a HTPC build in each room) and want a reliable player that can play anything you throw at it then I would consider them as an alternative. I run a 9TB unRAID server on my home network and SMB allows these boxes to communicate very well with each other.
Thanks.
I am not a computer expert.I want live tv channels via internet.I bought wd streming media plaer g3 but it does not have XBMC player to watch the tv stuff i need.My friend's, Apple tv with XBMC is working perfect with all overseas channels too.But ATV 2 is expensive.Rasberry pi need keyboard,adapter,sd card,skills etc.I donot need it.
Kindly let me know any cheaper (under 100 dollars) media player which can work with XBMC using wireless internet.
Wow, either you are spying on me or we are twins, this is exactly my feelings on WDTV.

(2012-03-21, 01:07)MarvinMar Wrote: I have 1 WDTV & 1 WDTV LIVE in my house and I had a WDTV MINI.

(2012-07-18, 04:53)mdmm Wrote: Thanks.
I am not a computer expert.I want live tv channels via internet.I bought wd streming media plaer g3 but it does not have XBMC player to watch the tv stuff i need.My friend's, Apple tv with XBMC is working perfect with all overseas channels too.But ATV 2 is expensive.Rasberry pi need keyboard,adapter,sd card,skills etc.I donot need it.
Kindly let me know any cheaper (under 100 dollars) media player which can work with XBMC using wireless internet.

It's far (a few months at the least. Maybe a year from now will be stable?) from being consumer ready, but keep an eye on the XBMC for Android development. This open tons of sub-$100 options.
Does it play River Raid?
I am not technical expert.What do you mean Android Box Huh
(2012-07-20, 04:37)mdmm Wrote: I am not technical expert.What do you mean Android Box Huh
A device that runs the Android operating system, which is often used in smartphones, tablets and set-top boxes.

Hi Folks,

I was thinking the same thing about one of these, specifically WD live streaming gen 3. Someone is working on homebrew for Gen 3:

http://guimli.free.fr/?author=1

After a further bit of digging Sigma designs offer a development board based on the SMP8670 (chip in gen 3 SMP8670AD)

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/products.php?id=140

This claims to run both Linux and Android and they do actively tout XBMC to run on the SMP8670

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/966806...c-support/

Just like to know the XBMC developers thoughts on the matter as I would happily make a donation towards support for the homebrew and XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone thought of running XMBC on the Western Digital Live Media Hub?0