Windows 7 x86 poor SMB Performance
ftp has resolved the issue on all but a few high bitrate m2ts files. I have a thread out there about it.

problem with ftp is seeking is horrible, and you lose the ability to delete files (critical for me because I utilize a couchpotato solution as a dvr). I use a centralized mysql server in this setup.

(2012-03-21, 16:04)sharza Wrote:
(2012-03-21, 16:00)kedda Wrote: sharza, I agree with your last post. something is awry with SMB access via XBMC. I have found smb to be unusable on high bitrate files and have had to resort to ftp.

So did FTP resolve the issue, and more importantly is FTP configured in the same manner as SMB (so that it will be universally accessible on the network, given I use a centralized MySQL library and server).

I could easily enable the access via FTP, as that is already in place however not serving access to media files.

if someone wants to take a look all the logic is here:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...ileSMB.cpp
and here
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...ectory.cpp

As one can see its the standard windows api which is used. its possible that XBMC uses different buffering logic for local and network shares. dunno if there's a difference between ftp or smb.
If there are any findings patches are always welcome.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
So some time has gone by, and I've played around with this issue quite alot now, thought I'd drop a status.

I am unfortunately not skilled enough to actually decipher the code logic, or for that matter modify it... I'll let the guru's handle that Smile

I've have tried whatever tweak I can at this time, and it is clear that something in the player itself is performing so poor that it exhausts the buffer when playing high bitrate files over SMB... I have no idea why. The core networking performance is full 100mbit during all bandwidth tests. Also raw file copying over SMB is at full 100mbit speeds.

All files affected without any exceptions play excellently when played back with MPC-HC or VLC, however keeps rebuffering in XBMC.

I've refrained from trying to setup external players so far, as I need the remote control option for the media center to be attractive at all, however it seems Yatse might be able to control MPC-HC, so I will try and give it a go. I've had a quick peek at it so far, however it seems that XBMC generates invalid UNC paths for the external player, I will open another thread aimed at that however, as I consider it to be quite far from the subject of this current thread.

Thanks for all the response guys, but it seems there is a flaw in playback within XBMC when it happens over SMB, which is unresolvable externally from the code itself, and I have to give up on that one unfortunately.
(2012-04-25, 13:59)sharza Wrote: Thanks for all the response guys, but it seems there is a flaw in playback within XBMC when it happens over SMB, which is unresolvable externally from the code itself, and I have to give up on that one unfortunately.

Interesting thread.

I have played with almost this exact set up: Eden on three Windows 7 x86 clients connected over 100 to a virtual Win 2008 R2 server on gigE. I know that this can work. In fact, I can run up to 3 clients at once viewing uncompressed Avatar via BluRay folders.

It sounds like XBMC does not like your network driver. What does perf mon look like during playback?

Some last ditch options that I might try:

1.) Do you have VMWare workstation on the host? You could try to play it in a VM using the VMWare network driver to interface Windows. If this works properly, then it is almost certainly a driver issue.

2.) Consider a temp install of Win7 x64 for a different driver on the laptop. If this works, then it is def an x86 driver issue.

3.) Consider NFS:

Server Services for Unix: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libra...s.10).aspx
W7 client: http://sagehacks.wordpress.com/2009/01/2...windows-7/

Good luck and keep us updated.
Hmm so for whatever reason my reply wasn't posted the other night... well lets try again then :-)

(2012-04-25, 16:14)ixnu Wrote: Interesting thread.

I have played with almost this exact set up: Eden on three Windows 7 x86 clients connected over 100 to a virtual Win 2008 R2 server on gigE. I know that this can work. In fact, I can run up to 3 clients at once viewing uncompressed Avatar via BluRay folders.
Well the server should easily deliver. Its not virtual, its physical and the hardware is easily capable of delivering. Data is stored on a 7 disk 12 TB array, and split into 2 TB encrypted container volumes. The raidset is hosted on a enterprise level adaptec controller (Unified 52645). Even though fully encrypted it delivers a sustained 350 - 550 MB/s, and this drops no lower than 100 MB/s with 3 simultaneous data transfers from the same raidset.

I am at this time puzzled. I should have run some more tests, also from other pc's after Eden final was out, but didn't before just yesterday when I did a last few round of tests.

On my 2 high performance gaming rigs, I have no playback issues over the network from the server with the new version of XBMC Eden... puzzling... then I remembered that all my tests has been with XBMC in a portable configuration, meaning all pc's I've tested earlier has been tested with the exact same parameters and same local data. This again brought something up that I suddenly remembered... I can remember at least one movie that I watched one time in the portable config on Eden RC2, no issues, but when I re-watched it I got the rebuffering issue... so at least once it played succesfully.

Right - back to the laptop then:

So first I upgraded the XBMC install to Eden final from RC2. I then updated the portable edition I use when connected to the network and MySQL is available with the new Eden Final files.

I tested both the local (the one not running against the mySQL library) and the portable installation of XBMC... and roger me senseless - no playback issues with the local install, but still issues with the portable install... puzzling!!!

For the fun of it all I made a new clean portable config - meaning no local data whatsoever and completely clean config files... I could play back my test movie with no issues (haven't watched it completely of course, however I will try that out later on. I started the movie both by navigating the network source, and from the library - which of course at this time was completely empty for thumbnails (now the local ones are gone)...

Now it will be funny to see if something clogs up somewhere, and I will experience issues again... if it works now I'm extremely excited... and has to admit very puzzled, because I simply can't see the differences... The only real difference being the new setup is completely cleaned of thumbnails and the cache dir has been emptied... so unless that should mean a difference, well I simply don't know...

Does anyone btw. know why the thumbnails are created locally? I would think all thumbnails should be present in the MySQL db and not locally... but apparently not.... just wondering...
Well about an hour into the movie issues returned... so will now try some clean installs over again and see wether Its intermittent or not.

Will also test with another PC and force it to 100mbit just to rule out the bandwidth parameter.

But just to let you all now, it is still no go for me. Will keep you updated.
@sharza - thumbnails are cached locally for speed in file lists. JMarshall is about to roll code out that stores the thumb links in the textures databse, but this has more to do with eliminating the seperate share for thumbs when using a central db with multiple client machines.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
@DDDamian: Thanks alot for sharing the information!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 7 x86 poor SMB Performance0