Xbmcbuntu, netflix, and hulu
First off let me say that I am completely new to this and just found out yesterday that anything like Xbmcbuntu or Openelec even exist so sorry if I ask any stupid questions. I just bought a Foxconn mini pc and I'm looking for a good htpc setup to put on it. My main focus is on xbmc which I already use on my other htpc but I don't fully understand how Xbmcbuntu/Xbmclive works. I understand that it boots directly into xbmc but is it possible to then close out of xbmc and use a webbrowser in order to use netflix/hulu or am I limited to just xbmc? If I am limited to just xbmc, are there any other options that I might be able to use if I want to keep access to these other websites?

Thanks,
Sean
With XBMCbuntu you can simply logout of the XBMC session and launch a full desktop session complete with web browser, flash, and Hulu support.

However, no matter what software you use, you will not be able to use Netflix on a Linux client. (Netflix does not like the Linux version of Silverlight) You can use a windows based system and run all of those things just fine but you may need better hardware.
Do you think this system would be capable of running XBMCbuntu or do I need better hardware for that as well?
(2012-03-21, 05:45)Herbiegaf3 Wrote: Do you think this system would be capable of running XBMCbuntu or do I need better hardware for that as well?

Well you haven't given us any details of your system, however Ubuntu will run on pretty much anything. Having said that, Windows 7 runs on pretty much anything as well. If your PC is the usual Atom CPU/Ion chipset Windows will run on it.

JR
netflix and Lovefilm both require Microsoft Silverlight and is it Windows and Mac only. Never on linux.
Sorry, I thought I listed the full name of the cpu that I bought. It's this Foxconn one here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856119050
That's quite powerful as HTPCs go, and should run any OS you want.

JR
Yup, you'll be fine with Windows 7. And that should give you full Netflix support.

Just set it to auto login and auto start XBMC if you want it to boot into it.
I /just/ installed Win7 on that exact piece of hardware last night. Foxconn's support website is craptastic, so it took me forever to find the BIOS update (to access the full 4Gigs of RAM) and the Drivers. The URL: http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDet...-us0000087

I haven't installed XBMC on it yet, but if you are not in a hurry I'll let you know how well it runs later this week after I've had some experience with it.
Definitely not in a hurry, I bought the computer from Amazon and it won't ship for 2-4 weeks so I'd like to hear how it works out. I'd rather use windows but I didn't know if it would run smooth enough or if the hardware was fast enough to handle it.
Still fiddling with things, but here are my notes so far.

Current Status: XBMC is up and running on Win7. uTorrent is working in the background. NetFlix isn't work yet.
  • Installation of the basics was more difficult with Win7 compared to Ubuntu. Win7 needed the standard "Upgrade the Drivers" hassle in order to get the front USB ports, Card reader, wireless, Ethernet, etc etc to work. Drivers are here.

• It may be my imagination; but I think the wireless network is slower with Win7. I'll be running Ethernet eventually.

• For some reason, neither Ubuntu nor Win7 can get the dimentions on my TV correct. Ubunto insisted that it was bigger than it was, Win7 insists that it is smaller. On windows the effect is a small (1/4"?) black bar around the screen.

• setup of the keyboard.xml for my Boxee Remote is more difficult because Win7 insists on changing some of the buttons to appcommands. While I think I'm a smart guy who has read up on the forums how to handle that, apparently I'm wrong. I expect this is an issue that will be resolved in future releases of XBMC.

• Setting up uTorrent was a breeze. It is setup to automatically start new torrents based on an RSS feed and to file the completed torrent automatically. I spent twice as much time trying to setup a torrent client in Ubuntu, and I'm not even sure I got it installed. Fuck you *nix and your inconsistent UI paradigm's and PITA installation processes.

• There are a lot more skins and addons available for Win7 users. I've been using Aeon Nox, and it has some minor interface option differences between Ubutnu and Win7. Nothing major.

• XBMC is running smoothly, with no issues. Video playback is wonderful with no issues. There is the occasional slowdown on the menus, but it is rare. As I keep using it I'm going to poke things and see if I can findout what causes it. I haven't looked to see about optimizing windows yet.

• We used this setup as a mainscreen for a 2nd ship in Artemis to great effect.

• XBMCFlicks (NetFlix for XBMC) is not plug and play. I haven't gotten it working yet, but I haven't focused on it yet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmcbuntu, netflix, and hulu0