Screen flickering
Hi

I am having a problem that when I play movies via XBMC the screen now and again will flicker. It doesn't go to a black screen or anything like that, it just flickers.

I've tried the same files on other players like VLC and WMP, and the problem isn't there.

The best way to describe the problem would be to compare it to the macrovision protection which is found on dvds and the like.

I've got my setup running through an amp via hdmi and then hdmi to the panel. I've tried various HDMI cables to see if they were the problem. It is still there.

If anyone has had this problem before and found a solution, I'd be grateful for any feedback.

Thanks

Wiggo
Post a link for a Debug Log so we can take a look.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-03-21, 15:41)DDDamian Wrote: Post a link for a debug log so we can take a look.

I hope I've done this right.

http://pastebin.com/riHyVCV0

I stopped the film and exited XBMC right after the flickering on this particular title.

Wiggo
That's perfect. There's some obvious issues with PVR - at one point the error is repeated 2500 times in a row. This could certainly tie things up - and with the weather info taking 28sec to download it seems things were very busy indeed. Is this a special build? It states RC2 from Feb 29th, but the PVR errors are a big red flag...
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-03-21, 16:32)DDDamian Wrote: That's perfect. There's some obvious issues with PVR - at one point the error is repeated 2500 times in a row. This could certainly tie things up - and with the weather info taking 28sec to download it seems things were very busy indeed. Is this a special build? It states RC2 from Feb 29th, but the PVR errors are a big red flag...

Thanks for your reply DDDamian.

I have a few things to point out if thats ok?

I'm using Eden RC2 with MQ3 skin (Without PVR, I think)

I'm also not particularly clued up on the code side of things, so I'm not too sure what you mean by a big red flag. And to that matter, what PVR is.

Is it possible that the software recognises a small error in the MKV file and does something irregular to combat it? As I said I've no clue lol.

And one final point. The flickering happens in the same place all the time.

Thanks for your input.

Wiggo

There was a bug the spammed the xbmc.log file and tied up CPU cycles. Can you download and install this build - it should fix your problems as well as give you access to HD audio like DTS-MA/TrueHD if your receiver supports it.

It's also based on Eden RC2 so you won't have any issues with libraries etc.
(2012-03-21, 16:55)DDDamian Wrote: There was a bug the spammed the xbmc.log file and tied up CPU cycles. Can you download and install this build - it should fix your problems as well as give you access to HD audio like DTS-MA/TrueHD if your receiver supports it.

It's also based on Eden RC2 so you won't have any issues with libraries etc.

Fantastic.

It's downloading now.

Will I be able to install over the build I have now, or is a fresh install needed?

Edit: Yes my amp does support the audio you mentioned Smile

If a fresh install is needed, can you remind me which folders I have to save so I don't have to rescan my library?

Thanks again.

Wiggo
I'd recommend installing to something like C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC-HD\ - that way you've got a fairly clean install.

You will not have to re-scan your libraries - they'll be fine as is Smile
(2012-03-21, 17:03)DDDamian Wrote: I'd recommend installing to something like C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC-HD\ - that way you've got a fairly clean install.

You will not have to re-scan your libraries - they'll be fine as is Smile

Installing now.

It never occurred to me that the DTS-HD-MA logo on the amp didn't show up when I was playing files with that and others embedded in it.

So I'm even happier now.

Will report back with the findings.

Great job DDDamian.

The problem is still there DDDamian.

I've also encountered a problem with playing back a film with DTS-HD-MA.

http://pastebin.com/xhV6zsm1

Do you have any other recommendations?

Wiggo
Damn, was hoping we wouldn't have to do this - okay we know it's not the build now. Can you easily back up your userdata directory - even if you just rename it? If so, go ahead and do that, make sure it's renamed or backed up and deleted. Are you comfortable doing that? You will need to kmow what addons you have installed as well as where your database files are (like myvideos60.db)
(2012-03-21, 17:34)DDDamian Wrote: Damn, was hoping we wouldn't have to do this - okay we know it's not the build now. Can you easily back up your userdata directory - even if you just rename it? If so, go ahead and do that, make sure it's renamed or backed up and deleted. Are you comfortable doing that? You will need to kmow what addons you have installed as well as where your database files are (like myvideos60.db)

I can save it to another location on another drive.

Not quite sure what you meant by 'make sure its renamed or backed up and deleted' though.

Couldn't locate the myvideos60.db file too.

Edit: If needs be, I can always do a new scan. I have the time lol.
ok, step by step. Start by renaming c:/users/yourname/appdata/roaming/xbmc to ..../xbmcbackup. Then go ahead and launch XBMC (the new one I linked for you) and it will re-create the user directory and databases (empty). Then you can either re-scan or I can walk you through the steps to bring your databases back.
Done.

Can you guide me through the steps to bring my databases back please?
Okay - you orginal files should be in C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\XBMCbackup\userdata\Database\ - there will be several of them all ending in .db

You need to (after exiting XBMC) copy these back to C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\Database\ - replacing the empty ones there.

Make sure you use copy, not move, so we still have copies if there's a hiccup. Make sure you copy and replace all the .db files

Then go back into XBMC and everything should be back

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Screen flickering0