Crystal HD BCM970015 manual driver install on ATV1
Sad 
Any way to install the Crystal HD drivers manually (ssh) onto ATV1? I can download the Linux drivers from the Broadcom site but not sure how to install into ATV. I have tried to use the Launcher method posted here CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher but keep getting the "Error 3" message.

I have ATV1 running 3.0.2 and tried to install the drivers running XBMC Dharma & Eden RC2 with the same results.

Not sure why I'm having difficulties. Seems like others have been sucessful using the Launcher method.

Please Help!

Finally got it working!
  1. Removed Crystal HD card
  2. Did Factory Restore
  3. Upddated ATV to 3.0.2
  4. Used ATV USB Creator patchstick with all options
  5. Installed Launcher and updated
  6. ssh into ATV and added CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - per Andy's post pg. 1
  7. Installed Crystal HD drivers-this time without the card being installed-Driver installed successfully!
  8. Installed Crystal HD card and rebooted
  9. Logged into ATV and ran: sudo dmesg-output indicated Crystal HD card

Tried playing back 720 and 1080p with XBMC Eden-ATV OSX and all played very smooth with no problems!

Back to being a Happy XBMC user! Thanks to ALL of the XBMC Team members and Support Forum!
Hope this helps with anyone else having this problem!
Odd, it should work the other way as well, but crazier things have happened.

You should check out Crystalbuntu (wiki) on a USB drive next (USB drive so you don't have to erase the internal HDD, incase you don't like it). It will give you a bit smoother of a GUI, and full 1080P output.
(2012-03-22, 13:23)Ned Scott Wrote: Odd, it should work the other way as well, but crazier things have happened.

You should check out Crystalbuntu (wiki) on a USB drive next (USB drive so you don't have to erase the internal HDD, incase you don't like it). It will give you a bit smoother of a GUI, and full 1080P output.

Ned, Thanks for the reply! I'm sure you guys are really busy right now!

I actually did put Crystalbuntu on a USB drive and checked it out last night. I did get 1080p playback and most mkv files played smoothly but I noticed the XBMC interface was a little sluggish at times. It even froze a few times while going from Movie menu to Main menu. General menu navigation just seemed a bit slower than Eden RC2 with ATV OSX. Also, a couple of movies (HD-mkv) and (SD-mp4) actually played worst, some stuttering with Crystalbuntu than with OSX-Eden RC2. Not sure if there is something in my settings that would make a difference or the fact it's running from a USB stick?

So for now I'm going to stick with ATV-OSX and Eden. Not a noticeably big difference between 720p on OSX and 1080p playback on Crystalbuntu to make me replace OSX. That way I still get to keep the Photo features of ATV-OSX, which I really like and can playback all of my movie files without having to convert them into something iTunes and ATV can handle. I will follow the development of XBMC and Forum for new features and releases.

Thanks again for all the help and support!
Could be the USB stick. In the future Sam (the guy who makes Crystalbuntu) said he's going to make it easy to keep both original OS and Crystalbuntu on the hard drive at the same time for dual boot, so hopefully people won't have to choose between them! (there is a way to do it now, but I hear it's a pain in the butt).

But yeah, even on the original ATV OS, that little card makes a world of difference. Plus it's a lot easier to install applications that are Mac OS X (10.4) compatible (like Firefox, Transmission, etc). Then you can launch them with Add-on:Advanced Launcher (wiki).

Trying to install extra stuff on Crystalbuntu can be... interesting...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crystal HD BCM970015 manual driver install on ATV10