Shared library thumbnail problem
I have my library shared between my systems but on some of the systems, the thumbnail does not show up. (I get that).

What I don't get is why? I have the XBMC set to "scan for new shows" on startup and I have the thumbnails stored locally IN the show folder. Isn't XBMC supposed to load the thumb if it is already there?

And it's even weirder because when I choose "info" for the show, I can see the thumb on that page and when I choose "get thumb" the "current" thumb shows up as the one I want! But for whatever reason, I have to switch it from "current" to "local" to get it to show up. Even though they are identical.

I don't want to "share" the thumb database because it SUPER slows down the system. But I figured if the thumbs are stored in the show folder, it should grab it (and it does... it just doesn't show it on the library page).

Any ideas?
XBMC only looks locally for files on scan. You're not scanning on all systems, thus they won't all have the thumbs.

This is fixed (for videos at least) in my video_thumbs_to_cache branch that will be merged in after Eden.

You have 2 options:

1. Share the thumb cache (silly, slow).
2. Copy the thumb cache from one machine to another (silly, fast).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thank you. I just swore I read that xbmc will look locally first (like in the video folder for the thumb before scraping). But you CLEARLY would know more than me! lol

Thank you for the response. At least now I know to stop looking for a solution! lol
Depending on exactly where the thumb is, you may find it will be cached as you browse in file mode. The problem is if you have videos in folders, and use folder.jpg then the folder will get the thumb but not the file. Also, if you use <videofile>.tbn then the file will get the thumb but not the folder.

It's pretty quick just to copy the files over from one machine to the other though.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shared library thumbnail problem0