External Player
Can an external player be used in XBMC on an Apple TV 2?
Nope.
Thanks....
Even if it would be possible - there is no external player for atv2. Just to be complete.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I recently purchased a ATV2 to play around with... Been looking fo inexpensive Media Center Units I can use in our house. I did the jailbrake and purchased the aTV software from FireCore.com. That has a stand alone media player in it and it did seem to play some Blu-Ray movies better then the built-in player in XBMC. Thus the question if External Players were supported on XBMC on the Apple TV.
Understood. Technically on iOS for ATV2 its not possible to access/start other apps from within XBMC. And by talking about firecores media player i just want to inform you that there is a known incompatibility between media palyer and XBMC. When having both installed and using samba or afp it could lead to XBMC random crashing. Just fyi...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
I too have read that in a couple posts... Guess I should just abandon aTV Flash and perform the install of XBMC via SSH. Been looking at the standalone install of it and it seems to be quite easy...

Also just so you know I have been testing on getting my Blu-ray movies to play on the ATV 2. Based on my testing it seems that 25 Mbps is the sweet spot. I re-encoded a movie last night to a h.264 format at 25 Mbps with the DTS or TrueHD Audio tracks and it plays excellent on the ATV. And that is accessing the movie via a SMB share on one of my Windows box's. I will be expanding the test by moving a re-encoded Blu-ray up to my NAS units still using CIFS shares to se how it plays.
(2012-03-22, 18:11)MR.WaynesWorld Wrote: I too have read that in a couple posts... Guess I should just abandon aTV Flash and perform the install of XBMC via SSH. Been looking at the standalone install of it and it seems to be quite easy...

Also just so you know I have been testing on getting my Blu-ray movies to play on the ATV 2. Based on my testing it seems that 25 Mbps is the sweet spot. I re-encoded a movie last night to a h.264 format at 25 Mbps with the DTS or TrueHD Audio tracks and it plays excellent on the ATV. And that is accessing the movie via a SMB share on one of my Windows box's. I will be expanding the test by moving a re-encoded Blu-ray up to my NAS units still using CIFS shares to se how it plays.

Out of interest (although I don't think it's possible) did you get True HD out of it?
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
Can't really tell right now. Currently hooked up to a 24 inch monitor with built in speakers. Once I get our rec room finished and a new amp I'll be able to try it.

The Apple TV is supposed to put out 5.1 audio... So we will see....
From what I've seen it can't do True HD/DTS-MA, I tried it once and my amp receives the DTS track and the "DTS" logo comes up but the little "-HD" ones doesn't. Just wanted to see if you had any more success, didn't know if it was the file I was using or anything but think it's just the ATV2.
Set Up
only core streams are passed through on ios atm...
With a bit of googling I think I get what you mean haha! Could this be something that would be added in the future or am I asking too far ahead there? Also, sorry i've hijacked the thread a little bit here, will keep shh after this.
Set Up
No Problem... I'm actually awaiting jailbrake for ATV 3 to see what it can do, Have one on order Smile. Like I said before these things seem to be a great inexpensive media device for XBMC that I can use around our house...
(2012-03-22, 23:47)deanmv Wrote: With a bit of googling I think I get what you mean haha! Could this be something that would be added in the future or am I asking too far ahead there? Also, sorry i've hijacked the thread a little bit here, will keep shh after this.

We don't know yet if it is even possible with Apples CoreAudio API. After merging the new audio engine someone with HD - Audio equipment has to dig in it (i for myself don't have such stuff around ...).

Lets stop the highjack now...
Ahh ok. Thanks for the reply and apologies again.
Set Up

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
External Player0