Luminance on AMD APU
I read review on http://www.missingremote.com/review/amd-...otherboard and they mention problems with luminance:

"AMD’s handling of video luminance has long been a source of frustration for those who do not choose to output Full RGB and use a display compatible with that pixel format. As we can see from the screenshots above, the driver clearly expects video content to be flagged in the PC (0-255) space instead of video (16-235), which causes the content to be unnecessarily expanded before recompression when output on a display configured for video luminance. Also, while four pixel formats are provided, selecting options besides YCbCr 4:4:4 or RGB Full led to inconsistent behavior between the different non-EVR* (Enhanced Video Renderer) players tested in this review including ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 5 (TMT), CyberLink PowerDVD 11 (PDVD), and Corel WinDVD 2010 (WDVD).

*MPC-HC, Windows Media Center 7 (7MC), and SageTV 7.1.9 (shown above) leverage the EVR so their behavior was consistent when that renderer was in use."

I have planned buying A8-3850 and using XBMC player for common videos (mkv, avi, DVD) and external player TMT5 for BD a 3D BD, but now I am not sure about A8-3850. Are these problems with luminance seriouse or are these problems solved thru current ATI drivers (review is dated 4. Oct 2011)?

Thank you very much for your help.
I'm happy to check for you if you can tell me how - as I think a lot of that article went over my head!

I recently built myself a HTPC using an A6-3500. Still in the early days at the moment but to the naked eye I can't honestly say I've noticed anything off about the picture at all
a8-3870k owner and honestly i didnt understand a thing your saying which i guess sucks for me, I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary.
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
(2012-03-24, 01:42)jack0w Wrote: I'm happy to check for you if you can tell me how - as I think a lot of that article went over my head!

I recently built myself a HTPC using an A6-3500. Still in the early days at the moment but to the naked eye I can't honestly say I've noticed anything off about the picture at all

(2012-03-24, 04:05)lagledavid Wrote: a8-3870k owner and honestly i didnt understand a thing your saying which i guess sucks for me, I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Thank you very much for your response. Unfortunately, I dont know how to try or test it.

What type of player do you use? Only XBMC or for some stuff TotalMedia Theatre 5 or something else?
Just using the player built into XBMC, works fine for me!
@pv-xbmc-

What is wrong with A8-3850? I haven't hear any bad thing about A8-3850 in this forum. Here is more info on: A8-3850-Great Gift (AMD A8-3850). If you want to setup XBMC external player, you can use my guide: Another External Player Code, but Very Simple to Setup.

You'll enjoy your A8-3850......Nod
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
A8-3850 for what you need! use the player built into XBMC
(2012-04-09, 04:34)bluray Wrote: @pv-xbmc-

What is wrong with A8-3850? I haven't hear any bad thing about A8-3850 in this forum.

Thank you for your answer. I read about problems on http://www.missingremote.com/review/amd-...otherboard and they mention problems with luminance:

"AMD’s handling of video luminance has long been a source of frustration for those who do not choose to output Full RGB and use a display compatible with that pixel format. As we can see from the screenshots above, the driver clearly expects video content to be flagged in the PC (0-255) space instead of video (16-235), which causes the content to be unnecessarily expanded before recompression when output on a display configured for video luminance. Also, while four pixel formats are provided, selecting options besides YCbCr 4:4:4 or RGB Full led to inconsistent behavior between the different non-EVR* (Enhanced Video Renderer) players tested in this review including ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 5 (TMT), CyberLink PowerDVD 11 (PDVD), and Corel WinDVD 2010 (WDVD).

*MPC-HC, Windows Media Center 7 (7MC), and SageTV 7.1.9 (shown above) leverage the EVR so their behavior was consistent when that renderer was in use."

But, if nobody here have any problem with it, I think it is OK and probably it have been solved by new drivers or by something else.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Luminance on AMD APU0