Win Really Frustrating - XBMC Starting up, Minimizing
Sad 
I've posted a similar topic about this problem - which I thought was fixed but just changed. Originally XBMC was starting up minimized, now when I boot up my PC, XBMC starts up, then after about 30 seconds it minimizes. This is extremely frustrating since I'm trying to create a streamlined HTPC experience, but always having to go open it up from the taskbar is really annoying!

I've tried using a program to delay startup, or make it the last to launch but this issue is always occurring.

Anyone know what might be causing this?
I'd guess that some other program starting on boot is gaining focus after XMBC got it.

If you are starting XBMC in fullscreen, try starting it in windowed fullscreen (don't know the exact name of that option 'cause I'm using a german translation, but is should be found within "System -> Settings -> System -> Video-Hardware").
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
Thanks, I'll try that-

I've tried to see if another program is grabbing focus- but all of my other programs are lower priority than XBMC- and even then I think I only have 2 other programs opening on startup? I'll update later, but if anyone else has ideas on what may be happening here I would appreciate it.

you can also add to the xbmc shortcut
"D:\XBMC_Eden\XBMC.exe -d 5"

So it adds 5 seconds delay before starting
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Running in true fullscreen mode XBMC does not play well with any other app. Even when I just plug in my iPod it will minimize.If anything launches after XBMC has launched it will get minimized. You can run in windowed fullscreen mode as suggested. The downside is if you have a weak graphics card you may see tearing issues. I'd do as Martijn suggested and delay the start maybe even longer than 5 seconds, depending on everything that starts when you PC boots up. Use something like CCleaner to see all the startup items you have and minimize that list. There may be more things in there than you realize.
If you are using any of the Eden beta or RC builds the debug log will tell you what is stealing the focus. Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging, and restart XBMC then wait until XBMC minimises then close XBMC.

Open the debug log by pressing Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

(including the quotes). Click OK and the log should open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log into http://pastebin.com/ and post the link it gives you here.

JR
Sweet. I didn't realize that. Thanks jhsrennie.
(2012-03-23, 16:29)kricker Wrote: Sweet. I didn't realize that. Thanks jhsrennie.

I like to add these little touches in between breaking the keyboard handling code ;-)

JR
Hey Guys! I wanted to report in- I managed to fix the problem using Fry7's method, I switched to windowed fullscreen instead and it now doesn't minimize. I noticed after about 30 seconds the taskbar flashes, but then goes away - so even though something else grabs focus, XBMC still stays the main window at fullscreen.

Thanks to everyone else for input and suggestions, glad to have my system running well again!
if you have ATI/AMD CCC(catalyst control center) installed, it causes xbmc to minimize when ccc is loading in background at system startup. if you don't depend on ccc for anything just disable from startup or uninstall ccc.
I've had that problem and had to set a "-d 30" for delay when using dharma, but the -d seems to cause eden to freeze on splashscreen. As far as running in fullscreen window mode, HD performance suffers and I get screen tearing on high bitrate stuff.

A workaround is to use EventGhost, or another app that can control app/display settings (like UltraMon), to check and reset XBMC to focus.

I put in a TRAC ticket (http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10056) a long time ago, thinking this was a bug since WMC7 does not have the problem. CrystalP said it was normal and closed the ticket.

Below are my thoughts around a new Feature Request to address the issues. Please provide input and I'll put in a Feature Request in TRAC.

1) ability to specify display # using a command line switch
2) XBMC needs watchdog (enabled via advancedsettings.xml) to ensure the following...
a) screen does not change, unless done manually by user (keystroke or mouse action)
-- thus XBMC is as was set on launch including: display #, max/min screen, screen location, window size, etc

... so a quick use case:
Lets say you have a dual display situation and your TV (display #2) is where you want XBMC to be all the time. But, if the TV gets turned off (say by your 2 year old) then XBMC moves to display #1 (monitor) with today's functionality it does not move back - thus you have to relaunch XBMC completely. If the feature request was accepted, there would be a watchdog in XBMC that would see this occur, and after a set time (maybe 30 seconds) attempt to move XBMC back to the proper display.

I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
I'm pretty sure it was the AMD Control Center - since thats one of the few programs I have activating on startup. If I get any screen tearing or anything as you mentioned I'll try disabling that. Thanks!
I have exactly the same problem on q180 which has the amd control center on it, disabling that at start up has fixed the problem.
So thanks to those on this thread that helped.
Thanks, I had exactly this issue

loaded msconfig.exe
disabled CLIStart.exe from loading
fixed
Thanks I needed this!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Really Frustrating - XBMC Starting up, Minimizing0