Video Stuttering
Hi there i'm quite new with xbmc and loving it but i have a little problem that pops up now and again. I could be watching an video file lets say an episode of law and order svu, i pause the episode to go make a brew but when i come back and unpause the episode it will stutter. This has also happened on music files and not always when i pause the files i'm playinbg or watching., If i restart my htpc system it stops stuttering, any reason this could be happening.
Grab a debug log and post it to pastebin and link it here. Also give more detailed information about the specs of your system.
It is a known issue with Windows - a fix will be along soon.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
I'm on Windows and have never seen this issue on any of my 3 systems. Strange.
@kricker - are you using DirectSound or Wasapi?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Default, nothing shown. I assume that means DirectSound.
@kricker - I can reproduce in Wasapi - haven't tried with DirectSound yet, but I think we just need to flush the Wasapi buffer on skip. CrystalP has done a few patches as well for some Wasapi pause issues (loses connection on pause). Thx for confirming DS is okay. Smile

To the OP - as kricker suggests a Debug Log would be handy so we can see which sound API you are using when you get this issue.
I've never fully understood WASAPI and why I would "need" it, so I never switched to it. I can try and see what happens.

EDIT:
I just tried with WASPI speakers and I had no pause. It must be a digital thing. All my systems are outputting via analog. This is about to change today with a new HTPC being built sending audio and video over HDMI.
Quite likely - most comments I've seen relate to digital output and Wasapi, but don't have enough data to say for sure. I also think at this point it's only over HDMI, so if you see it happening with your new HTPC pls advise Smile
I'll get it together after lunch and see what happens. I'll reply here to my results.
I've been getting it together since puberty and still not there lol.

Look forward to any info.
It took longer than planned due to cabling issues and lack of a proper HDMI cable. I did finally get it going and it is working fine with audio over HDMI. I get no stuttering after resuming from pause. I don't think the audio is on WASAPI. I'll do that to tonight and test.
Well, I just tried it with WASAPI direct to the TV. I still do not get any shuttering issue. Everything is perfect. The only thing I havenot tested is a really long pause time.
Thx for the feedback kricker. Actually just ran across it myself tonight with HDMI and WASAPI output - maybe a 10min pause and then garbled audio. Skipping ahead didn't help. Had to stop and restart again. Seeing lot's of reports in the forums about it. Will do some digging.

Enjoy the new build Wink
(2012-03-23, 17:47)DDDamian Wrote: It is a known issue with Windows - a fix will be along soon.
Is this the same issue that causes video to stutter after XBMC has been running for an extended amount of time (days)?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Stuttering0