Win Hardware Acceleration (DXVA2) causes distortion in x264 videos
Hello,

My GPU:

Intel Graphic HD3000 @ Core i5 2500K

My Video settings :

Renderer : DXVA
Allow Hardware Acceleration (DXVA2) -> ON

Basically, whenever I play x264 encoded videos, after every few seconds, the screen would produce distortions to the point of the video being unwatchable.

Is this an issue with the drivers ( I tried the most recent one, and a few editions back, but still the same) or that the implementation isn't mature enough?

Image:

Intel and DXVA2 do not play well together - there's lots of folks waiting for driver updates from Intel.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
I'm getting the same problem. I switched from ubuntu to windows to make the wife happy and I get this when I want to watch full Bluray rips... I didn't have a problem in ubuntu tho. sigh
Ubuntu doesn't use DXVA which is DirectX (Windows) Video Acceleration.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
You can blame on Intel for that, and they're always behind on GPU. I wish that they bought Nvidia when they had a chance.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Damn, so in order to get nice and clean playback I would need a dedicated GPU? This build keeps getting more expensive
Just switch DXVA2/GPU Accelleration off. Your 2500K is MORE than enough to handle decoding by itself.

No need to spend more money if you dont want to, the main point of GPU accelleration is to save power/CPU runtime, but if you're just running XBMC by itself, and don't really care about power...then there's no reason not to run this way. Smile
i3-2100 /w Scythe Big Shuriken Cooler, 4GB RAM, GT430 Passive, 40GB SSD boot drive, 2TB 5400RPM internal media drive, 2TB external drive, Nexus 430W PSU, Nexus case fans

Feeding Yamaha RX-V1800, Panasonic 42PZ80 Plasma, Mission 753/Quad speaker surround kit
(2012-03-24, 22:10)Chuck King Wrote: Damn, so in order to get nice and clean playback I would need a dedicated GPU? This build keeps getting more expensive
My kid i3 laptop can playback fine with DXVA2 disabled. If it work fine without DXVA2 enabled, you don't need it......but it's nice to have it working though.

My other HTPC's with AMD GPU are working fine with DXVA2 enable...Nod

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Was there ever a fix for this? I posted in a few different forums and I see now that it is a hardware issue. My original question is posted below.

I was wondering if I can get some assistance with an issue I'm having. I have an Ultrabook I am using to add to my network of XBMC machines. The Acer specifications are listed below. My other machines are hardwired and work with the default XBMC settings. Also, they are i7's. The issue with the Acer is that during playback the screen periodically distorts really badly. See first image. Originally I thought the issue was that I was streaming my content via wireless and it couldn't keep up but that was not the case. After light troubleshooting it seems there is an issue when the throughput gets above 40 Mbps (number attained using windows resource monitor). Any assistance would be appreciated.

Things I tried
  • Connecting Hardwire - Same result periodic distortion. See second image
  • Connecting via USB 3.0 - Same result periodic distortion. See third image
  • Using a different movie - Distortion not as bad but still an issue.
  • Changing network drives - Changed streaming from the MyBook Live to the Synology NAS. No difference.
  • Changed XBMC Settings - Turned off "Allow hardware acceleration (DVAX2)" - The distortion stopped but the picture stutters and audio periodically drops out. Sometimes when it comes back it is out of sync.

XBMC Version
Eden 11.0

Operating System
Windows 8

Laptop Specifications
Acer Aspire V5
i3-2377M @ 1.50 GHz, 1.50 GHz
Intel HD Graphics 3000
6 GB RAM

Network
Netgear WNDR4500 Gigabit Router
Netgear 8-port Gigabit Switch

Storage
Synology NAS
WD MyBook Live
WD Passport
(2013-01-01, 20:34)dmarqueset Wrote: Was there ever a fix for this? I posted in a few different forums and I see now that it is a hardware issue. My original question is posted below.

I was wondering if I can get some assistance with an issue I'm having. I have an Ultrabook I am using to add to my network of XBMC machines. The Acer specifications are listed below. My other machines are hardwired and work with the default XBMC settings. Also, they are i7's. The issue with the Acer is that during playback the screen periodically distorts really badly. See first image. Originally I thought the issue was that I was streaming my content via wireless and it couldn't keep up but that was not the case. After light troubleshooting it seems there is an issue when the throughput gets above 40 Mbps (number attained using windows resource monitor). Any assistance would be appreciated.

Things I tried
  • Connecting Hardwire - Same result periodic distortion. See second image
  • Connecting via USB 3.0 - Same result periodic distortion. See third image
  • Using a different movie - Distortion not as bad but still an issue.
  • Changing network drives - Changed streaming from the MyBook Live to the Synology NAS. No difference.
  • Changed XBMC Settings - Turned off "Allow hardware acceleration (DVAX2)" - The distortion stopped but the picture stutters and audio periodically drops out. Sometimes when it comes back it is out of sync.

XBMC Version
Eden 11.0

Operating System
Windows 8

Laptop Specifications
Acer Aspire V5
i3-2377M @ 1.50 GHz, 1.50 GHz
Intel HD Graphics 3000
6 GB RAM

Network
Netgear WNDR4500 Gigabit Router
Netgear 8-port Gigabit Switch

Storage
Synology NAS
WD MyBook Live
WD Passport

Also check just to be sure that in the control panel of ur graphic card (nvidia or CCC or whatever), Video (or video color) is handled by the player instead of by the card.
HTPC
Silverstone Grandia GD05 - Intel i5 3570k -Asus H61M-G Micro-ATX - Unidad Blu-ray
MSI GTX970 4GB GDDR5 - 8 GB RAM DDR3 - AVR Denon X3400H Atmos - LG  OLED 55C7V
(2013-01-02, 13:22)vicmanpergar Wrote: Also check just to be sure that in the control panel of ur graphic card (nvidia or CCC or whatever), Video (or video color) is handled by the player instead of by the card.

Thanks! I will try that and see what happens.
Also try to update XBMC to the Frodo RC2.
Not works
(2013-03-29, 05:10)Novox Wrote: Not works
No information, no help.
Hey hello! I have the same problem on my HP Envy X2 Laptop/Tablet running plain Windows 8, if i turn off hardware acceleration the movie plays but very choppy and stuttery.

The downloaded movie plays in the standard Win8 player & WMP just fine but not just not in the lovely XBMC Sad

I did try to update everything but the latest driver for the Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-GMA-3650 isn't supported for Windows 8, the current one i have installed is from 8 jan 2013 however. Version 9.14.3.1130

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware Acceleration (DXVA2) causes distortion in x264 videos0