A HDD dilemma
Right now Newegg has 2TB Segate baracuda and 2TB WD EARS on sale for the same price and both have free shipping.
I can only buy one...
Which do I go for?

Just for the record, I do not have a MOBO capable of taking advantage of the 6Gb/s transfer rate of the seagate.

I suppose in the grand scheme of dilemmas this ain't that bad.

Thanks
TRP
XBMC Gotham via OpenElec 5.0.8
ASRock H87M-ITX
I3-4330 Haswell CPU
64GB SSD ADATA
4GB Team Elite DDR3
MI-008 Case
unRAID 5disks 18TB of awesome
You'd be fine with either...the pricing, however, leaves a bit to be desired.

I've been able to scoop up green 2TB drives for $99 or $109 - Seagate, WD + Hitachi parts. I'd do some more scouting for better promo's first.

This is all a far cry from the $69 price-point for such drives pre-Oct 2011, but at least we're getting somewhat closer to old prices.

I've seen a couple 3 TB drives for $159 too BTW.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
I´d buy the WD20EARS..
I got two of them running in a Raid 0 setup since almost a year.

They´re simply flawless. silent, cool and fairly reliable.
Plus they are recommended by poofyhairguy in his thread.

Btw: i miss the days when they were incredible cheap.
i bought mine for 2x65€ (170usd)
Shocked 
Looks like you can get the WD External, which I believe has the EARS, for $110 right now. Not a terribly bad price these days.

I'll probly get one; my Unraid server has less than 100GB left, and I'm too greedy (and lazy) to delete anything. I remember buying two of these during black Friday a couple years ago for $59 each, I think.
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
may not matter to you but you get \less warranty coverage on externals which is prob mainly why they are usually cheaper
just something you have to factor also
WE ALL WE GOT
I fully concur that the current pricing is a far cry from where it used to be. However, much like maddog, I'm out of space on the server and its time (whether like it or not) to expand. My wife has no tolerance for my selective deleting of her movies as opposed to mine - and frankly I don't blame her. I do have a 1TB drive that I am going to drop into my unraid build in the meantime. Hopefully this will buy me just enough time for drive prices to scoot south a little more. Newegg has sales all the time.... right?
XBMC Gotham via OpenElec 5.0.8
ASRock H87M-ITX
I3-4330 Haswell CPU
64GB SSD ADATA
4GB Team Elite DDR3
MI-008 Case
unRAID 5disks 18TB of awesome
I've got 4 of the Barracuda Greens in a file server and they gave been nothing but aces since I built it. Looking to get a few more to expand the tray a bit, but I'm in no rush. Picked them up @ $70 each before the floods, waiting till we see something closer to that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A HDD dilemma0