Linux Install from USB fails: "An attempt to configure apt to install additional packages
Just wanted to post this since I couldn't find anything about this on the forum and eventually figured out a workaround.

If you are installing from USB stick and get the following error..
"An attempt to configure apt to install additional packages from the CD failed"

You will need to manually delete the apt-setup file that points to your cdrom.

1. Run the USB install as normal
2. When you get to the screen where you enter your user name, pc name, etc. CTRL-ALT-F1 to get a shell.
3. Run this command
> sudo rm /usr/lib/ubiquity/apt-setup/generators/40cdrom
for password just press enter
4. Press CTRL-ALT-F7 to get back to your install
5. Fill out your username password, etc as usual and continue and the install should continue and finish.
Thanks for this - was driving me nuts.
Thank you thank you thank you. I actually just made an account here to say that because yours was the only method that worked. Why the hell don't the Ubuntu developers know about this error.
Thank you so much!! It worked and I made an account just to say it to you...you are a king my friend.
I have tried everything to try and get around this problem and nothing seems to work.

Installation: Linux Mint 17
Previous Installation: Linux 13
Disk: 1TB and working fine able to install Linux 13 and Ubuntu without problem
System: 64 bit Acer
Medium: USB (one 4 GB & 16 GB)
Software: 4 GB has windows pendrive installer
16 GB has windows netBootin installer

both give me the same result, to-wit: "An attempt to configure apt to install additional packages from the CD failed"

I have tried the suggestion of deleting the Apt-setup file suggested herein, and after several attempts no luck. I have noticed when I attempt to hit Alt F7 it doesn't go back to the installation it just "spins and spins" and then shuts down.

Linux Mint 13 was installed from the USB pendrive, I believe at the time I used the Windows Installer not the Netbootin. However, I used the Netbootin to install Linux Peppermint on another much older 32 bit computer and that worked fine.

Help.

Any suggestions.

George B

My CD Rom is fine I purposely installed Ubuntu from an old CD and it installed fine.

Any ideas
OK so I downloaded a live install of xubuntu 14.04, and came across the same problem. The solution was the same except the file I ended up deleting was actually local60 rather than cdrom40. So maybe there's more than one way to fix depending on your method of install? Not too sure I've only been using computers and stuff for a couple weeks. But I just used ls command and followed it to the file, removed it, f7d back to the install and it worked fine. Thanks man you're awesome. I don't know how the hell you can figure that out to begin with but I'm grateful. Very gnarly
Ok update, for whatever reason the install I got didn't have the 40cdrom to remove, but removing the local60 was enough to get me in. But almost immediately things started to fuck up and I almost threw my damn laptop out the window. But I made another iso out of my xubuntu, booted it and then came across the original problem, except this time it DID have the 40cdrom thing. So I just removed it but to be honest Im pretty much over this. Xubuntu is without a doubt complete bullshit. Just saying
cool...an email adress as a nickname...have fun with spam Wink
Here we are in March 2018.

I have tried numerous things, and I've been searching all over the internet for the past week and numerous hours.
Finally, I found this thread, and this fixed my issue and I was able to install Ubuntu 16.04.04 LTS.

Many, many thanks for posting this!!
Hehehe now in May, almost June 2018 and still the fault appears in some 17.10 versions.
I have two machines, in one, the sudo rm /usr/ lib etc just before name details etc, as posted worked just fine.
But on the second, no way.
No way 1 dozen times using varying F key  Alt, etc combinations.

Then found another post where the author suggested using the sudo BEFORE actually starting the install process.
Worked~!

Uhhm I opened a fresh account just to thank the original solution here, but admin guys, I know the mighty Google might rule the earth for some of you, but actually, there are several parts of the world where it is non functioning. Therefore your SPAM thing will not work. There is no CAPTCHA.
I live in one of those parts and had to send this to another person in Google land so she can post it for me.
Just sayin'
p

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Install from USB fails: "An attempt to configure apt to install additional packages1