Playing Half 3D SBS Over Lan
First post, been using XBMC for a while and it rocks

We recently bought a 3D TV and so I got hold of some films and gave them a go. It all looks good but playback stops about every 30 seconds to buffer when playing the files over a lan.

I wonder if anyone can give me some ideas on where the bottleneck is or how I find it.

Here is my setup:

Server:
Beefy Ubuntu Machine with samba share setup for sharing to the rest of my network
Connected to router by 20+meters cat5 cable

Router:
Netgear WNDR3700 flashed with DD-WRT

Client:
Foxconn nt300i (atom 330)
XBMCbuntu eden beta installed on usb stick
2GB Ram
Connected to router by 10m of cat5 cable

When playing the movie I watch the dubug info at the top and CPU usage never goes above 25%

Any sugegstions would be greatly appreciated.

If this kind of question has been answered previously I apologise. I searched using the forum search but most of the answers were not relevant and google has indexed a load of broken link forum archive pages, which make searching difficult.
You could do additional tests to find out where the bottleneck is but this would require a bit of effort on your part:

Try connecting the Ubuntu server directly to the Foxconn box = If still buffering then it's the beefy ubuntu machine or the foxconn box.

If not then it's probably the router.

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
Quote:samba share

If you're running *nix to *nix for the love of ____ use NFS. It blows SMB out of the water...this could potentially be part of your problem here.

There's no issue keeping both Samba + NFS sharing some or all same mount-points, but if you're running Ubuntu to Ubuntu NFS is by far superior. I'd give that a try. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NFSv4Howto
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
To rule out problems due to the atom machine (cpu or drivers, etc.) I would suggest playing the file locally first. If you have an external drive or a large enough usb stick, play it off of that first. If it plays fine, then the problem lies with either the router or the ubuntu machine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playing Half 3D SBS Over Lan0