Help a noob plan their first HTPC!
sata cables?

well, your motherboard should come with 2.

so use one for your SSD and the other for an Optical Drive if ever,,,
Well, I got all the parts and was excited to build this thing today.. until I discovered that the CPU I bought (blu-rays build) has a heatsink that sits so high that I can't install the PSU back in.

Wow.

This sucks. If you buy this case, please be sure to get a CPU/heatsink combo that sits low enough that the PSU can have some space to go back in on top of it.

Also, I'd recommend just not getting this case in general. Even if you get a CPU/heatsink that fits, you'll have maybe an inch of space so the CPU fan will blow straight into the bottom of a PSU. Awful, awful design.

I should have read those reviews on Amazon more carefully.

So, I'm coming to ask.. what would you do? Get a new Heatsink that is slimmer that won't interfere with the PSU... get a new PSU that is.. slimmer (but might not be compatible with the case), or get a new case altogether?

I'm leaning towards getting a new case because this design is just so awful. Any thoughts?
@magpieswarble-

Even you get the correct CPU cooler, I have a feeling that you don't like MI-008 case anyway. Since you're going to live with it for a long time, would as well replace it with something that you like. This one is very popular in this forum- SilverStone Aluminum/Steel Micro ATX Media Center/HTPC Case ML03B (Black) + SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - OEM.

Amazon should be able to replace the MI-008 with ML03B for you.......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Hey bluray. I'm okay with the case, just not this power supply location. It's a real head scratcher.

I actually borrowed my friends dremmel and sawed off the 4 little rubber feet that the screws pass through on the fan's heatsink. It will still screw into the heatsink just fine but it lowered it just a few more MMs.. enough to get the PSU to sit RIGHT on top of it. Absolutely no space left at all.

But I have the PSU's intake fan meeting right on to the heatsink's fan, so half of the head is going to blow up through the heatsink and into the PSU and out the PSU, the other half will just blow out as normal since half of the heatsink fan isn't being covered by the PSU. If that makes sense. Confusing to describe.

Anyway, just had to come on here to complain for a bit. You know how nerd-rage goes.
(2012-04-03, 04:29)magpieswarble Wrote: I actually borrowed my friends dremmel and sawed off the 4 little rubber feet that the screws pass through on the fan's heatsink. It will still screw into the heatsink just fine but it lowered it just a few more MMs.. enough to get the PSU to sit RIGHT on top of it. Absolutely no space left at all.
Sometime, you have to improvise to make it fit. I cut, solder, drill, etc all the time. Most AMD APU users replaced the original CPU cooler due to noise. You can try it "As Is". If you are okay with the CPU cooler fan noise and the CPU temperature is operating within spec, you should be good to go. Worst case, you can replace it with a quieter and lower CPU cooler. What is the overall height of the original CPU heatsink/fan?

(2012-04-03, 04:29)magpieswarble Wrote: But I have the PSU's intake fan meeting right on to the heatsink's fan, so half of the head is going to blow up through the heatsink and into the PSU and out the PSU, the other half will just blow out as normal since half of the heatsink fan isn't being covered by the PSU. If that makes sense. Confusing to describe.
Here is how you should installed the case fan in MI-008-

i would have never recommended the AMD A6-3650 APU with the APEX MI-008 case...

all 100W TDP AMD APU's have cpu heatsinks higher then 40mm
which is the max cooler size the apex case accepts....

you should have read post #2 more carefully....
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1054275
Thanks Eskro Wink. I wish I hadn't bought it now either but, we're doing alright now. Once I got those rubber feet on the fan milled off, things are good again.

I'm waiting for my SSD to arrive which should be tomorrow or Wednesday. Once that's going, I'll install Win7 and XBMC and start working on the software side of things.

Thanks for posting that picture of the fan in my case. I was wondering where that was going to go... Is that picture from a specific post or guide that you could provide me with? It'd be interesting to read any other stories of people building HTPC's with that case.

Thanks guys!
picture is from bluray's htpc
@magpie-

Let us know how it turn out after you installed everything! I know that APEX MI-008 is not a perfect case, but it fit most users budget and needs. I did have to trim off the plate in the rear too. But after it is set and done with some modifications, the case works great since day one....for about a year now, I never have any issue with the case!
Thanks bluray. I'll be sure to post pics once everything is all set up and good to go. Very excited!

"I did have to trim off the plate in the rear too"

Is this different than the heatsink fan's rubber legs? What plate are you referring to?
(2012-04-03, 20:28)magpieswarble Wrote: Thanks bluray. I'll be sure to post pics once everything is all set up and good to go. Very excited!

"I did have to trim off the plate in the rear too"

Is this different than the heatsink fan's rubber legs? What plate are you referring to?
It have been a while...I did several modifications to it to make everything fits the way I wanted. All the modifications didn't alter the overall function and the exterior structure of the case at all. If I remember correctly, I couldn't fit the HDMI in the rear HDMI port properly. I trimmed of the rear plate slightly to center HDMI port. I did have to trim off case fan housing slightly to fit on the side too. I did something to fit the discrete GPU too. I didn't bring it up anywhere in this forum, because I thought that it is part of the DIY process......

To me- as long as the modification don't hinder the overall functionalities of the case, you should be good to go......

If you want thing your way, you have to improvise and it is why I built most of my cables........

Here is one example of my work-
Hmm.. case modification is a little intimidating and I suppose I should have been more up front about that. I could see having to cut away the rear plate to expose the HDMI cable.. I should test that before I get too far head of myself actually. (EDIT: Just tested it, it plugs in perfectly. Phew.)

Bluray, where did you mount the SATA drive in your case?
if your talking about an SSD drive,
you can stick it anywhere u see fit
using double sided tape.
Err, Yeah. SSD Drive. Anywhere I see fit eh? I suppose you don't have to really safely secure this thing like a traditional hard drive since it's flash based. That makes sense.

#noob
Okay, so I'm trying to boot off of my USB external which has Windows 7 image mounted to it. Couple weird things I've noticed so far:

1. Heatsink fan is really loud. Did you notice that with your build, blu-ray? Should I buy a new CPU fan that isn't so loud? Suggestions?

2. Cool, you can use a mouse during the BIOS. I've never seen that before. Hold on.. my mouse's directions are all inverted and weird. Up is left, down is right, left is up, and right is down... what the .. f? I tried all 6 USB ports in the back and the 2 and the front; same symptoms. Could I have plugged in the USB interface wrong into the motherboard which is causing everything to be weird and reversed..?

3. I plugged in my external hard drive which has a Windows 7 boot image on it, it's recognized in the BIOS as being a USB device. However, when I set it as the primary boot device, it tells me that it can't boot from it. I'm wondering if this is related to the USB issues with my mouse above. If my USB interface isn't plugged into the mobo correctly, it's not able to work correctly much like the mouse isn't working correctly now?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help a noob plan their first HTPC!0