Protect Library
Hi,

My XBMC is connected to one internal hard disk, and one external hard disk. my question is, what will happen if i disconnect the external hard disk and then connect it again to the PC and it gets a new hard disk letter, will this affect my library? and will it need to scan again?

if yes, how can i avoid this?
There is a chance..you could get a new drive letter.... especially if you pop in a flash drive etc. but in general all things the same it will pick up the same letter designation. When that happens, some media will no longer be available when you try to play. It will prompt you, with 'that file no longer exists' 'would like you like to delete that listing' and you can simply cancel at that point. Should you decide to use the clean-up feature, at the point the drive is no longer the same letter.... all media that can no longer be found will have all references to it deleted.

Some work-arounds, from the desktop>computer>storage>diskmangement Change Drive Letters and path.... change it back to the drive letter you need. Better still change the drive letter to something way down the alphabet... Like Drive 'X' it's not likely you'll need 20 drives on a win machine, and more likely that it will never be assigned.

You can also manually edit the path in your library with a text editor, reset the path in videos. I've never done this, but some have done it successfully. I've recently left a drive out of my system and cleaned house, and I just scaped it again (had earlier exported as single files) and it all came back in less than 40 minutes for 2TB. My export to a single file was a bit old and I had too many changes in my database to use that as an import back-up, but if your export back-up is current... you could edit the path inside that file and import it.
i thought there will be an automatic way to do the update. for example i am using a movie database called "movie collector", which does automatic path update when you change the file path.
There probably is the expectation that your media collection, if small resides on a local internal drive, or larger amounts on a NAS or some larger database that maintains a lan address. Exporting as separate files, gets you back relatively quickly without an internet scrape.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Protect Library0