Win nVidia DXVA Full Screen Broken
Has anybody else come across this annoyance with nVidia cards?
(this should be a single frame filling the screen)

It seems to only occur when ALL of the following are satisfied:
  1. XBMC is set to true full screen (not window or full screen window)
  2. The renderer is set to DXVA OR a file is playing with DXVA2 acceleration
  3. nVidia hardware and certain drivers (currently using 296.35)
If I install a DSPlayer build, that too is broken in true full screen in that it runs at about 1 FPS.

If using full screen window, there are no issues other than the noticeable jitter on pretty much any content (even 30p stuff which should display properly). The jitter is quite surprising given that the GPU utilization is reported as 10% GPU, 10% Memory Controller, 20% Video Engine.

If I remember correctly, driver 276.28 was fine. I only switched because I hoped that the jitter was a driver bug (it wasn't).

Hardware:
XBMC Eden Final
AMD Phenom II X4 905e @2.5GHz
6GB RAM
nVidia Quadro FX 580 (equivalent to 9500GT/9600GT)
Realtek HD Audio
Windows 7 64-bit
Same thing here..

I also get some flashing and artifacts when fullscreen window mode and dxva2 activated

Nvidia GT 440 (driver 296.10) and Eden Final
Finally going back to old nvidia drivers (275.33) fixed the issue for me
Just in case it has something to do, on Nvidia control panel, on Video, be sure to have it all as "managed by the player" and not "managed by Nvidia"

This solved lot of different replaying problems.
HTPC
Silverstone Grandia GD05 - Intel i5 3570k -Asus H61M-G Micro-ATX - Unidad Blu-ray
MSI GTX970 4GB GDDR5 - 8 GB RAM DDR3 - AVR Denon X3400H Atmos - LG  OLED 55C7V
(2012-04-14, 13:19)vicmanpergar Wrote: Just in case it has something to do, on Nvidia control panel, on Video, be sure to have it all as "managed by the player" and not "managed by Nvidia"

This solved lot of different replaying problems.

Even with that setting, it had problems with new drivers..
Not had that issue but did get blue screen crashes with those drivers. Stopped since I switched back to earlier ones.
I rolled back to driver 276.28 and still didn't have correct playback in DXVA mode, although it wasn't split into two like in that screenshot.

Instead, with default settings, the video was in a quarter-screen area. I found that adjusting the nVidia 3D settings between Performance <> Balanced <> Quality resulted in either full screen but blurry (Performance), half-screen (Balanced) or quarter-screen (Quality). The culprit appears to be Antialiasing, which gets overridden with the Quality and Balanced modes.

My solution is to set the nVidia 3D settings to "Advanced" and set up an application profile for xbmc.exe which sets Antialiasing - Mode to Off and leave all other settings at their defaults.

Hope this helps somebody else. True full screen mode does make a noticeable difference in smoothness to me, so it was important to get it working correctly. I haven't tried the newer 296 driver with these changes, due to the extent that it was broken.
it's in the windows faq on the wiki.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I just ran into this when switching from AMD to Nvidia.

@CrystalP
Why does this happen with NVidia and not AMD? My concern is without AA, the UI gfx will not look as clean - especially on larger screens like mine (65" +)
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia DXVA Full Screen Broken0