[UBUNTU] Document- HOW-TO's & FIXES (suspend/hibernate, USB DVB, LIRC)
Hi Guys,

So i made the switch from Windows to Linux UBUNTU for my HTPC...

Can i just say, coming from Windows, Linux is an absolute P.I.T.A to configure. I don't care what anyone says, it's ridiculous for anyone to have to go through what i did to get things working the way they should.

It's certainly not an 'out-of-the-box' experience.

Nothing really worked for me (properly) and trying to fix things that should 'just work' is ridiculous. Almost everything needs to be done through terminal which i find a little primitive in this regard.

The problems i faced:
- USB Dual Tv Card only mounting 1 adapter, not both.
- USB TV Tuner Card would cause "suspend" to freeze at a black screen.
- USB Wake from Hibernate/suspend
- Mouse cursor on-top of xbmc after wake from suspend
- Keymap.xml, remote.xml, lircmap.xml, LIRC issues (more of a head F*%K than anything)

Where as, in Windows.... All i needed was XBMC and Eventghost. Everything else was EASILY configurable from Windows GUI and/or simply just WORKED!

The reason i moved to linux:
XBMC is faster
De-interlacing for VDPAU
TVHeadend

XBMC development moves quite slow, so waiting around for the next release to fix some video and de-interlacing issues on my windows setup, in the hopes that my issues would be fixed, was somewhat 'wishful thinking'.
So, i decided, despite the HELL i was about to put myself through, i pushed forward and changed to LINUX.

I'm using WUBI.exe installer for Ubuntu 10.04. So i've kept my Windows 7 install intact (just incase)

While i've addressed and fixed all the problems i was having getting Ubuntu to work the way i wanted, i made sure i took notes of what i did, so that if i ever had to do it again, i wouldn't be so hesitant.

I've converted my notes into a word document that's become a Tutorial, so to speak.

If anyone is having issues with:
- USB Dual Tv Card only mounting 1 adapter, not both.
- USB TV Tuner Card cause "suspend" to freeze at a black screen.
- USB Wake from Hibernate/suspend
- Mouse cursor on-top of xbmc after wake from suspend
- Keymap.xml, remote.xml, lircmap.xml, LIRC issues

Then, download this word document:

http://www.mediafire.com/?bad5bxxshyewyb4

Hopefully someone finds this useful.

Cheers,
Loggio.
Thanks for the guide, looks like some helpful info for the dreaded LIRC and suspend/resume configurations...
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
What's the point of putting the DOC file in a RAR archive? Put it in TAR or BZ2 or ZIP.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[UBUNTU] Document- HOW-TO's & FIXES (suspend/hibernate, USB DVB, LIRC)0