Linux No sound in XBMC Buntu install
I'm having similar problem.
I installed ubuntu 12.04 and all the sounds in the sistem work but in xbmc nothing.
I've tried the solutions here in the forum and the best i got was the menu sounds and silence when playing a video file. All the other alternatives just give me back an error about the audio config.
When it has no sound i've triedthe volume and it says the device is busy.
The sound is conected with hdmi to ati hd4200.
Any toughts?
I used ubuntu 11 and then linux mint"lisa" and they all worked fine without any changes from the instalation. No sistem sounds and no menu sounds in xbmc but when playing videos or music everything worked in xbmc.
I solved my problem, i don't have menu sounds but the rest works.
In ubuntu audio settings i changed the output to s/pdif instead of hdmi, and in xbmc audio settings keeped hdmi output and in the devices set as custom on both fields i wrote hw1,3
In oneric and in lisa i had a similar problem but just changing the sistem audio settings solved the problem without having to change anything in xbmc. With ubuntu 12.04 aparently both are needed.
This solution leaves everything else outside of xbmc mute, in case of need is easy to change in audio settings and them return back.
Hope it helps someone, becouse this forum has helped me a few times before.
Best regards.
Hi All,
It would be great if there was a definitive guide on the sound stuff. Perhaps explaining what all this means:
I think most non technical people will struggle to understand all this and the problem is that if you look at a install and play distribution like openelec or xbmcbuntu and the sound does not work on either and its difficult to investigate the potential user of xbmc will bin it!
Personally video has always been fine and audio has been a frustrating bag of intermittent issues. I'm sure this has more to do with ALSAs setup but there must be a way to set this up with guide that promotes understanding rather than trieing things that may work but the novice has no idea why!
All the other great stuff works but without the sound......

Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Generic_1 [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
card 1: Generic_1 [HD-Audio Generic], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
i have set it to hw:0,3
I agree with you, but at least after you get it working, things won't inexplicably change like if we were running windows.
And you have one sistem that has only the use of being a multimedia station related functions instill belive it's worth the headaches... And at least for me i get to learn something about how it works on the way to solve these problems.
You're right also about the guide, and if we where talking about osx or windows i think it would be a demand but as xbmc and ubuntu are both free we must try and learn for each other what we can, at least that's my view.
Did anyone get this to work?

My ASRock A75M-ITX does not play sound on HDMI. Tried using "PLUGHW:0,3" but still no cake.

Other suggestions?
I had similar issue getting sound through the HDMI on my Lenovo Q180 (ATI Radeon HD6540a) from memory this is what i did to fix -

In XBMCbuntu open the synaptic package manager and search for pulseaudio and install any Pulse Audio tools that look necessary (mixer, manger etc...)

reboot

in XBMC -

Settings > System > Audio Output -

Set Audio Device to "Analog"
playback device to the PULSE AUDIO HDMI output. (This will be new after the packages have been installed)

reboots may be required.
I solved this on my system really simply.

I installed pulseaudio through Synaptic Package Manager and this allowed me to activate the HDMI sound

Works great, hope this helps

Dave
I've got a quite simalair problem. I've got it running on xbmcbuntu. But the sounds only work on the main board. And is very low volume. Not bad sound i only have to increas my amp volume. I want i to play it normal volume, i tried to get the sound of the hdmi channel and it doesnt work. Maybe after following your instruction. And there is an soundblaster card installed what doesnt work to. The low volume is because there is no driver installed?, would a driver for hdmi or sounblaster card improve it?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No sound in XBMC Buntu install0