Sound and video issues in XBMC
Hi all,

I've been having a lot of issues with sound and video on my PC and after a lot of troubleshooting I realized all the issues are related to using/closing/rebooting XBMC. So a simple question first, are there video cards that XBMC just doesn't play well with? I'm using an Asus EAH5450. I've listed my issues below.

* Sound is acting "weird". Example: I was watching Apocalypse Now last night and the beginning of the movie is all sound effects and narration, this sounded fine but when the actual dialogue started it sounded more like a background conversation than dialogue. Very muffled and hard to hear. I turned the sound up where I could hear it but even at a loud volume it still had the muffled tone to it. It has done this on some other movies (The Dark Knight for one) but others play just fine. I've tried changing the audio type, source, etc. but no luck there.

* XBMC will occasionally go to a black screen in the middle of a movie. I can still hear the audio but no video at all. Hitting the Windows key pops up the start menu but it disappears into the black background. I'm not able to shut it down via a CTRL-ALT-DEL and have to force power down my PC to reset it.

* XBMC will occasionally close out in the middle of a movie but audio keeps playing. I can move around Windows but have to CTRL-ALT-DEL to close XBMC all the way.

* If I shut down my computer from within XBMC it kills my video card/driver. Any time I've tried this my card will not load when the system reboots and will not let me reload the drivers telling me that my card is not found. I have to run System Restore and go back a couple weeks minimum to get it work.

I'm looking to get a new card but wanted to see if there are other cards I should avoid as it seems XBMC really dislikes this one. If it's not the card and anyone has other ideas please let me know. Thanks!
5450 sounds like an ATI/AMD card - if so have you tried their drivers instead of the manufacturers drivers?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-03-26, 17:36)DDDamian Wrote: 5450 sounds like an ATI/AMD card - if so have you tried their drivers instead of the manufacturers drivers?

I haven't. How do I find out which drivers I need? I tried to search for my card on ATI/AMD's site but no luck.
(2012-03-26, 18:00)itsme_timd Wrote:
(2012-03-26, 17:36)DDDamian Wrote: 5450 sounds like an ATI/AMD card - if so have you tried their drivers instead of the manufacturers drivers?

I haven't. How do I find out which drivers I need? I tried to search for my card on ATI/AMD's site but no luck.
It's all in here, and it is very easy to fine the driver for your HD5450- Graphics Drivers & Software

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-03-26, 18:08)bluray Wrote:
(2012-03-26, 18:00)itsme_timd Wrote:

It's all in here, and it is very easy to fine the driver for your HD5450- Graphics Drivers & Software

Thanks, I didn't know to look under HD series. I'm using the Catalyst package now from the Asus site but it looks like they've updated it on ATI's site recently, I'll give that a shot.
(2012-03-26, 18:12)itsme_timd Wrote: Thanks, I didn't know to look under HD series. I'm using the Catalyst package now from the Asus site but it looks like they've updated it on ATI's site recently, I'll give that a shot.

Yeah, new versions of the Catalyst drivers are released every month or so.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sound and video issues in XBMC0