Eden CPU Usage (again, but slightly different this time)
I had posted a while back about CPU usage issues with the Eden betas, at which time I was shown the advancedsettings.xml portion that controls the dirty region rendering. Using the default skin on the home screen, I now see 0% usage (with the news ticker off). I believe I currently have the following dirty region settings in advancedsettings.xml:

<algorithmdirtyregions>1</algorithmdirtyregions>
<nofliptimeout>1000</nofliptimeout>

Here are my new questions:
Do skins need to be re-coded to work with the dirty region rendering? I wouldn't think so, but if I change from the default Eden skin to, say, Aeon Nox, I have CPU usage at the home screen. Changing back to the default skin brings it back to 0%.
Does the dirty rendering not apply to library views? Again, I notice some CPU usage when sitting at the Movie library view (with no scrolling plot summary or anything).
Are my settings somehow causing CPU usage on non-home screens/non-default skins?

Right now I'm just sticking with the default skin, and as part of my remote control macro, getting XBMC back to the home screen when I turn everything off - but I'd prefer to not have to rely on that should it not work for whatever reason. It'd be nice to just know there was no CPU usage when I'm not watching something.

Thanks for any help!
Do you have a single background image or are you using multi images?
For the home page, I have one background per menu item.
For the movie library - I haven't changed any background settings for any of the libraries. I'm pretty sure I'm using the fan art view, which, unless a selection change is made, doesn't change. Can you explain what multi image would do? There is nothing changing on the library screens when I'm idle - no image changes, no text scrolling, etc.
Try adding <visualizedirtyregions>true</visualizedirtyregions> so you can see what's being rendered.
That's a good idea - thanks, I'll try that tonight. So the short story is that any skin and any screen should have the dirty region rendering applied to it, is that correct?
Yes. Note that D-R does not reduce CPU usage to zero. All it does it ensures that the render portion of the UI (including flipping if you have noflip enabled) isn't performed.

The processing portion is still performed, so skins with lots of information on the screen will still use a higher CPU than skins without lots of content on the screen.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2012-03-27, 00:06)jmarshall Wrote: Yes. Note that D-R does not reduce CPU usage to zero. All it does it ensures that the render portion of the UI (including flipping if you have noflip enabled) isn't performed.

The processing portion is still performed, so skins with lots of information on the screen will still use a higher CPU than skins without lots of content on the screen.

I see. I guess I assumed nothing else was really going on when nothing in the UI was changing on the movie library screen (at least not enough to use 7-15% processor) but it seems that assumption was incorrect. Thanks for the info!
Have had similar problem, CPU usage constantly at 20-25%.
So the fan started more often than neccessary (have an temperature driven fan-switch-off software installed).

I have had installed xbmc 11 eden over xmbc 10.

My solution:
deinstalled xbmc 11 completly including "user data" (is an option while deinstalling).
Then reinstalled xbmc 11, placed the "dirty" file in user data (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Dirty_regions)
and set vertical blank sync in the System/Video Output directory to "Enabled during video playback."

Now 1%-2% CPU usage when idle.

Hope this helps someone.

hardware: Acer 1825 Notebook with touchscreen:
Intel Pentium Prozessor SU4100 (2MB L2 Cache, 1,30GHz, 800MHz FSB)
Betriebssystem: Original Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
(2012-04-13, 09:23)Tintin Wrote: Have had similar problem, CPU usage constantly at 20-25%.
So the fan started more often than neccessary (have an temperature driven fan-switch-off software installed).

I have had installed xbmc 11 eden over xmbc 10.

My solution:
deinstalled xbmc 11 completly including "user data" (is an option while deinstalling).
Then reinstalled xbmc 11, placed the "dirty" file in user data (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Dirty_regions)
and set vertical blank sync in the System/Video Output directory to "Enabled during video playback."

Now 1%-2% CPU usage when idle.

Hope this helps someone.

hardware: Acer 1825 Notebook with touchscreen:
Intel Pentium Prozessor SU4100 (2MB L2 Cache, 1,30GHz, 800MHz FSB)
Betriebssystem: Original Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Thanks for the info.

Deleting your database is unnecessary.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Eden CPU Usage (again, but slightly different this time)0