Is there an idiot's guide to updating XBMC on ATV2?
I bought my ATV2 with XBMC pre loaded but I want to update to the latest version (primarily to see if it sures the HDMI handshake problem with my Yamaha receiver).

However, I am struggling to find out how to do this! Can it be done through the XBMC interface on the ATV?

I have tried SSHing into the ATV but get error messages relating to ".deb" and decided I was getting in way over my head.
SSH into it again and use the following commands:

First command:
apt-get update

Second command:
apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2

That should be it!
Thanks. As soon as I type apt-get update I get the message

'.deb ' is not known on line 1 (etc etc)

OK I found some different code on the web which I used

echo "deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org/ stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list

I've then entered

apt-get update

apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2

And I get a line that tells me

WARNING: The following packages cannnot be authenticated: xbmc-atv2
Install these packages without werification? [Y/N}

Am I safe to go ahead and hit Y ?

What's the worst that could happen?
Seriously? XBMC was not originally designed to work on the ATV2 and the ATV2 is not designed to take XBMC...
Who is it authenticating with...?

What's the worst that can happen?
Your ATV2 will get extremely hot, implode and never function correctly ever again... or it'll 'Just Work'.

You must ask yourself one question...
The red pill or the blue pill.

Remember, thousands of ATV2 XBMC users have been where you are now...

(If it breaks - start a fresh!). Wink
Maraschino - Web based HTPC Organiser. Keep track of all your web based programs all in one place.
Home Page - Repo - Bug Tracker - Support Forum.
Just to confirm, in the ATV2 home screen, is there no "NitoTV" option? The guy that did my ATV2 installed that and I recently upgraded to the most current XBMC version by going in there and clicking on update XBMC. Very painless.

Would suggest you install it if you haven't. Here's a simple tutorial that I literally just used on a friends ATV2 and had NitoTV installed in 15 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x_pyFy1cI0

No, there is no Nito TV. I just emailed the guy that did it (in his ebay ad it said Nito TV was installed). He said that it's installed but it's "idle" (?) and also said it messes up XBMC. Hmmm.

Anyways....I hat the "Y" in the command screen...lo and behold it worked!

Edit: although unfirtunately it has not fixed the handshake issue beyween my ATV and Yamaha receiver Sad
(2012-03-25, 16:12)keiron99 Wrote: No, there is no Nito TV. I just emailed the guy that did it (in his ebay ad it said Nito TV was installed). He said that it's installed but it's "idle" (?) and also said it messes up XBMC. Hmmm.

Anyways....I hat the "Y" in the command screen...lo and behold it worked!

He clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. Those guys are a dime a dozen on ebay. NitoTV is just an installer menu and won't hurt anything.

Good to hear that everything is working, though! If you haven't already seen it, the iOS FAQ (wiki) contains a lot of good info.
I upgraded trough SSH but nito tv still says an update is available. How can I tell it I've already updated?
(2012-03-25, 17:06)sprazzi Wrote: I upgraded trough SSH but nito tv still says an update is available. How can I tell it I've already updated?

There's an entry in the FAQ on how to check your XBMC version.
I shall say: I upgraded through the ssh method.
I see my version is 21st of march.
But alongside the xbmc entry in nito tv I see "update" ; when I run it it says I have the latest version
Then the " update" is still there.
NitoTV is weird like that.

March 21st is when the build was made. It wasn't released right away to give time to find last minute bugs before making it public.
Drat! to a control freak like me this is unbearable! Smile
Hey, i have been trying to upgrade my XBMC to Eden11.0 since it was released a couple of days ago, but when i run the apt-get update i get the below message.

Error too when trying to install via Nito TV. Any ideas? cheers

Reading package lists... Error!
E: Write error - write (28: No space left on device)
E: Can't mmap an empty file
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
Apple-TV:~ root#
(2012-03-27, 06:46)nmirzayantz Wrote: Hey, i have been trying to upgrade my XBMC to Eden11.0 since it was released a couple of days ago, but when i run the apt-get update i get the below message.

Error too when trying to install via Nito TV. Any ideas? cheers

Reading package lists... Error!
E: Write error - write (28: No space left on device)
E: Can't mmap an empty file
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
Apple-TV:~ root#

You have ran out of disk space on the flash drive of the ATV. See here for troubleshooting: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=IOS_FAQ#Disk_space
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is there an idiot's guide to updating XBMC on ATV2?0