Looking for Low profile graphics card - DDR5 / Passive cooled?
Question 
Hi,

I looking to change my case and looking for a low profile GPU card but would like it to be DDR5, Passive cooled and be able to bitstream HD audio.

does anyone know of any that can do this, DDR5 will be used for decoding high bitrate blurays where it does not use hardware acceleration.

what doe you guys recommend?

Thanks
TV: Sony  65" A1E Surround: Yamaha RXA-3050 + ORB Audio Mod2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Sub Processor: Darbee + DVDO iScan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K + Apple TV4K + Vu+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS 871 Pro i7 16GB Ram 10GBe
(2012-03-26, 17:23)a5ian300zx Wrote: Hi,

I looking to change my case and looking for a low profile GPU card but would like it to be DDR5, Passive cooled and be able to bitstream HD audio.

does anyone know of any that can do this, DDR5 will be used for decoding high bitrate blurays where it does not use hardware acceleration.

what doe you guys recommend?

Thanks

Isn't your 6670 already DDR5 and passive? If so why not look for a lower profile case that can take a horizontal card via a riser and keep the 6670.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
This is probably the closest one you can fine- GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6770.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Hi,

thanks for the replies,

I looking at one of the two cases below and the card needs to fit into these.

Silverstone Milo ML03
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=283

Lian li PC C37
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pro...s_index=68

basically im after case with followinng features

1) Slim with a 5.25inc front bay
2) USB 3.0 connection
3) be able to take full size standard PSU
4) Good Cooling i.e vents - i want to make it quite as possible so will only have one case fan or none.

Thanks
TV: Sony  65" A1E Surround: Yamaha RXA-3050 + ORB Audio Mod2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Sub Processor: Darbee + DVDO iScan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K + Apple TV4K + Vu+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS 871 Pro i7 16GB Ram 10GBe
(2012-03-27, 09:25)a5ian300zx Wrote: basically im after case with followinng features

1) Slim with a 5.25inc front bay
2) USB 3.0 connection
3) be able to take full size standard PSU
4) Good Cooling i.e vents - i want to make it quite as possible so will only have one case fan or none.

Thanks
You might want to step up to this- Silverstone GD05

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thanks bluray your a legend - I will get this case as it fits my needs and will get the front usb 3 accessory for it that why i can still use my existing video card not limited to the low profile.

Quick question I currently have the 6670 1gb DDR5 ultimate edition passive in my HTPC but i also have a Asus GT440 1GB DDR5 card in another PC which do you reckon is the best from the two for Video playback in 24p?

a5ian300zx

(2012-03-28, 14:35)a5ian300zx Wrote: Thanks bluray your a legend - I will get this case as it fits my needs and will get the front usb 3 accessory for it that why i can still use my existing video card not limited to the low profile.
Has anybody seen an "official" recommendation regarding video card height for this case? There is always mentioned that cards with a length of 11 inch will fit. But the case' height is 151mm, so it may have problems with the heat sink of some passive cards. The 6670 and GT440 (if passive) that you mentioned are both 130mm so this should fit. But the heat sink of the Sapphire seems to overlap to the back side of the card and may conflict with the mounting part of the optical drive (if you are going to use that).

(I have the GD04 sitting here and I could try to measure max video card height and distance to the od mounting part myself. But I guess this will not be very accurate. Would be nice to have kind of an official information about this)
(2012-03-29, 12:42)malte Wrote:
(2012-03-28, 14:35)a5ian300zx Wrote: Thanks bluray your a legend - I will get this case as it fits my needs and will get the front usb 3 accessory for it that why i can still use my existing video card not limited to the low profile.
Has anybody seen an "official" recommendation regarding video card height for this case? There is always mentioned that cards with a length of 11 inch will fit. But the case' height is 151mm, so it may have problems with the heat sink of some passive cards. The 6670 and GT440 (if passive) that you mentioned are both 130mm so this should fit. But the heat sink of the Sapphire seems to overlap to the back side of the card and may conflict with the mounting part of the optical drive (if you are going to use that).

(I have the GD04 sitting here and I could try to measure max video card height and distance to the od mounting part myself. But I guess this will not be very accurate. Would be nice to have kind of an official information about this)

If you have a GD04 already why don't you try it yourself! It's the same case, dimensions wise, as the GD05.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
DavidT99 Wrote:If you have a GD04 already why don't you try it yourself! It's the same case, dimensions wise, as the GD05.

David
Yes, I know it is the same dimensions. But as I said: if I measure it myself this will not be accurate. (I don't need this info myself as I am happy with my gt520 atm)

Anyway, I tried to measure myself and I guess your video cards will NOT fit in this case (if my info is correct that they are 130mm in height). You can see on this foto:

The end of this rule is sitting directly on top of the mainboard. I guess there will be some more mm lost because of the pci-e slot. Additionally the mounting part of the optical drive sits exactly above the end of the pci-e slot. As the heat sink of the passive sapphire 6670 overlaps the back side of the card, you will loose some additional mm. So all in all, I think it will not fit.

Thats why I would be interested if anybody found an official statement about the supported video card height for this case.
Hi,

sorry for the late response and Thanks for the advice unfortunately you are right the 6670 passive card does not fit heatsink comes way out, but i had the below DDR5 1GB card which fits perfect and have swapped them around from one of my PC's.

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDI...440DI1GD5/

not passive but a very good card, I cant believe how quite the fans on the GD05 are with all three connected, I use an external connector to test the fans.

I am still finishing the build. but so far love the quality.

Thanks
(2012-04-01, 20:52)a5ian300zx Wrote: I cant believe how quite the fans on the GD05 are with all three connected, I use an external connector to test the fans.
Interesting. I had the exact opposite impressionSmile I extra ordered a fan controller that should be able to control fan speed from 20-100%. But even on slowest setting it was way too loud for me with only one fan connected (not sure if this is really at 20%). Now I run two of the fans connected to the board (Asrock H67M) with lowest speed and this is ok. But last week one of the fans started to make a repeating noise. So I think I will get some new case fans.

But beside this I am also absolutely happy with this case. Just hoping that there will be some good passive cooled video cards in the future that will fit in the case. Some day when I am not satisfied with my GT520 anymore I wanted to get a more powerful card.

Hi,

I have not fully tested the fans yet, so told hold me on this my initial thought was it was quite, I have not closed the case and tested it yet which can cause turbulence type noise. But I might just have one fan in the case which will be the below one i have these in 3 of my PC are they are great for the money.

http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer...11897.html

I have bought the front usb3 attachment which requires your motherboard to have a usb3 header which my one does not, but i do have external rear usb 3 ports so i will buy the below to connect the rear to the front ports.

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6791

i will update my Pc build thread with pics of the new case and GPU.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=112854

PS: I love my front media bay looks great

hi,

finally started everything at this gt440 asus graphics cards fan is really loud, is there any way i can lower the fans setting permanently? or a passive card now that will fit the new gd05 case in terms of height?

Ps. I ended up using only one enermax fan in the case as I wanted it silent as possible.

thanks
You can try to change the fan speed with ASUS SmartDoctor. My Asus GT430 had a minimum fan speed of 60% and was still very loud at that speed. I had to flash a modified bios with a lower minimum speed.

Thanks Carb0 for the info but i might just change the card for a passive one been looking for a one and have narrowed it down to the following and just need feedback - needs to fit the Silverstone Gd05 which has a height restrictions so any card with heat pipes or heat sink sticking out of the card will not fit.

Sparkle GT430 - this one has is low profile single slot with a very flat heatsink perfect for tight installations / Core clock = 700 Mhz / Stream Processors Clock = 1400 MHz / 128 bit memory interface
http://sparkletw.com/products/geforce-gt-430-1g-p/

another like the above but 128 bit interface is the Zotac cards which don't come in low profile but do have nice solid heatsink

HIS 6670 - Core Clock 800Mhz / Stream Processors Clock = 1600 MHz / 128 bit memory interface /
http://www.hisdigital.com/gb/product2-680.shtml

a5ian300zx

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for Low profile graphics card - DDR5 / Passive cooled? 0