Problem with "Green" Switch and Computer sleep
Hello,

I have a recent problem that I hope someone can help me with. I recently bought a new 8 port GB DLink "Green" Switch to replace my older switch that lost one too many ports.
The new switch works fine for the most part, however, I seem to have a problem. When any of the ports are not in use (When computer goes to sleep), the voltage level goes down on that port pretty much putting the port to sleep as well. When I wake up my computer and XBMC starts, it will not connect to my server no matter how long I let it wait. However, if after I wake my computer I physically browse the folders on my server I can then start XBMC and it will connect to my media as it always has.
So has anyone had this problem and/or know a way I can wake up my computers now, start XBMC and browse my media without having to go and wake up the ports on my new "Green" switch?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
Really? No one else has a green switch where the ports will go to sleep if unused for a period of time?
I have a LogiLink NS0051A Gigabit switch which features a technology called "green ethernet". I presume, this is the feature you're talking about. I do not have any such issues. Maybe it's a D-Link specific issue?
This isn't an XBMC problem, fix your switch or fix your NIC.
If you can't do those things, then delay XBMC from starting up.
I have no suggestions in a 'resume' situation.
(2012-03-29, 23:00)bluenote Wrote: This isn't an XBMC problem, fix your switch or fix your NIC.
If you can't do those things, then delay XBMC from starting up.
I have no suggestions in a 'resume' situation.

Hi Bluenote....I never said this was an XBMC problem. I know it is my switches problem. The reason that I posted was to see if anyone else was having a similar problem and whether they had found a solution for it.

Mark
Hi Mark,

this may not just depend on your new switch but on the combination of switch and your server.
Let's turn it this way: the disconnection could be, if my opinion above is correct, the default behavior of your (probably W7-) Server (which works with SMB shares?) to free up resources.
This is a known issue to free up server resources and there is a "Fixit" program of MS available to change this behavior.
I had the same situation and also thought, it's a matter of the sleep mode, but it wasn't.

Maybe you find the solution for your issue here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684

Kind regards - Christoph

PS: it generally has to be fixed only on the server side - to be sure you may also run it on the client as well.
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)
(2012-03-30, 14:32)Christoph21x Wrote: Hi Mark,

this may not just depend on your new switch but on the combination of switch and your server.
Let's turn it this way: the disconnection could be, if my opinion above is correct, the default behavior of your (probably W7-) Server (which works with SMB shares?) to free up resources.
This is a known issue to free up server resources and there is a "Fixit" program of MS available to change this behavior.
I had the same situation and also thought, it's a matter of the sleep mode, but it wasn't.

Maybe you find the solution for your issue here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684

Kind regards - Christoph

PS: it generally has to be fixed only on the server side - to be sure you may also run it on the client as well.

Hello...thanks for responding. I'll check out the link but I really don't think it is my Windows 7 server box as it was not having a problem before I started using my new switch. The literature for the switch explains:

With D-Link Green Technology, if there is no cable link or link partners turn off, D-Link Green Technology will put that port in a "sleep mode," reducing power used for that port and saving energy.

So what is happening is when a computer goes to sleep, the switch port of that computer goes to sleep. Waking up the computer later is the problem as neither the computer nor XBMC when it starts, seems to wake up the port again.

Thanks,
Mark
(2012-03-30, 14:43)mwkurt Wrote: With D-Link Green Technology, if there is no cable link or link partners turn off, D-Link Green Technology will put that port in a "sleep mode," reducing power used for that port and saving energy.

Hi Mark,

exactly.. and that's what can "allow" W7 to cut the shares (as they were by then unused for (default) 15 Minutes).
I had the same problem description: no shares with third-party programs, W7 Explorer re-initialized them and they were present again.

If your switch doesn't go to sleep mode it may prevent W7 to cut shares.
As I remember, this behavior came in only with W7 SP1 - at least that's when it occured on my systems.

Kind regards - I'm keen to know if this was the issue

Christoph

PS: The Fix does NOT prevent your system from going into sleep mode, maybe good to know
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)
Well..I tried it with the command line method to completely turn off the sleep apnea thing. After the first try, it looks as if it is working!

So thanks a lot.

Mark

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with "Green" Switch and Computer sleep0