WDTV User looking to switch
Hey, so I currently use a WDTV Live to stream my movies off a NAS box. They are 1080p .mkv files. I don't like the way the movies are organized and the way they are displayed doesn't help. I looked into the XBMC and i thought that it might be able to do what I want. I just wanted to make sure it can do the following

1. Stream, not transcoding, from the NAS box to the TV
2. Able to display movies with covers and info neatly.

Please help, I am completely new to XBMC and it seems good and with the intro of 11, I have become interested, thanks for the help guys.HuhHuh
yes and yes

read up on how scrapers work. Proper file naming can have a huge impact on how well xbmc can import movie info.
1. Yes
2. Yes ......you do have a couple choices with this....you can either let xbmc gather the metadata and fanart needed to give you all the info or you can use a separate program to gather the data and xbmc will read that info and display it

i started to type some more info but realized you are at the beginning and i could type forever lol
don't be afraid to ask questions
WE ALL WE GOT
Ok so for the streaming from the NAS box, it will show the full 1080p mkv file? Not downscaled or converted or anything correct? because the Roku does and I think the way the WDTV works is that it streams. Just double checking if that is true haha
(2012-03-26, 22:26)TakeMeOut Wrote: Ok so for the streaming from the NAS box, it will show the full 1080p mkv file? Not downscaled or converted or anything correct? because the Roku does and I think the way the WDTV works is that it streams. Just double checking if that is true haha

Yes - it'll look 'bee-u-ti-full' in all its 1080p glory...just need the proper hardware to do so.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
I am also a convert from WDTV. I installed XBMC on a wim looking for a better solution than what I had. I ran the system on a windows pc for 8 months. And am now designing my whole house around XBMC. I have not even turned e WDTV since in converted. It is leaps and bounds ahead. You will never turn back.

Hands down favorite feature: you don't have to unpack the movies you get. Unlike with WDTV.
(2012-03-26, 22:20)gabbott Wrote: yes and yes

read up on how scrapers work. Proper file naming can have a huge impact on how well xbmc can import movie info.

(2012-03-26, 23:25)mikeprep Wrote: I am also a convert from WDTV. I installed XBMC on a wim looking for a better solution than what I had. I ran the system on a windows pc for 8 months. And am now designing my whole house around XBMC. I have not even turned e WDTV since in converted. It is leaps and bounds ahead. You will never turn back.

Hands down favorite feature: you don't have to unpack the movies you get. Unlike with WDTV.

As In I can leave it in the fifty rars in came in? A-MA-ZING

What setup up would you guys recommended, Just want to watch 1080p mkv and maybe amazon vod if possible

btw, thanks for all the help on the fourm, thank you all

(2012-03-26, 22:26)TakeMeOut Wrote: Ok so for the streaming from the NAS box, it will show the full 1080p mkv file? Not downscaled or converted or anything correct?

Only the ATV2 downscales the output to 720p because of hardware limitations. If you use a PC you won't have that issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WDTV User looking to switch0