No Sound - XBMC Eden on Lenovo Q150
Add me to the list of those frustrated with sound issues on the Linux/Live version of Eden

I tried the settings that worked on Dharma to no avail.

Tried the different custom settings that worked before(plugh:1,3 / plughw: 0,3), tried unmuting in alsamixer, etc. No go.

I'm trying to get audio via HDMI. Had this issue with prior versions of XBMC but that fix no longer works.

Anyone have any luck with the Q150 and EDEN?

Here is my aplay -l

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1

That did not work. Got the failed to initialize audio device error...
Right now there is no sound at all. Proving tougher than the previous versions...
No sound when playing test .wav files. In alsamixer it's showing HDA Intel as the default playback device - everything unmuted. For the NVidia HDMI it's only showing spdif option, also unmuted.

From previous versions of XBMC I know the idea is to get the NVIDIA card to display more options in alsamixer, but the way to get that working on Dharma is not working on Eden. Not sure if I'm making sense, but something seems to have changed radically.

Still no sound anywhere after the fresh Eden install.
If the Q150 is anything like my revo and you're running through HDMI, go to System > System > Audio Output and set it up as follows:

Audio Output - HDMI
Speaker Configuration - 2.0
Boost volume level on downmix - enabled
Dolby Digital capable - disabled
DTS capable - disabled
Audio output device - HDA NVidia - hdmi - 0 (ALSA)
Passthrough output device - HDA NVidia - hdmi - 0 (ALSA)

Reboot your system, then start an audio or video track and see if it's working. If it is, try customizing the above to better fit your setup (I still go 2.0 straight through my TV, so I realize it's not ideal for everyone).

FWIW, I didn't do anything special before this - no custom .asoundrc files or anything like that. If you've already tried a few things, they may interfere with the settings I mentioned above.
Doing a fresh install right now since I'm worried some of the things I've tried could have made things worse. Will try these solutions on a fresh Eden and report back.
Have the sound working in movies and music, but still no menu sounds. Won't be poking around much more since the most important things are working okay.
(2012-03-28, 06:05)uncouth Wrote: Have the sound working in movies and music, but still no menu sounds. Won't be poking around much more since the most important things are working okay.

Cool. We're now in the same boat Smile I've never had a good experience with the menu sounds in XBMC. To get them to work, I always had to create a new .asoundrc file from some thread I was blindly following, and then sound from certain addons/etc would fail. Also, at some point after playing videos the menu navigation audio would stop working until a reboot anyway. I'm at the point where I can live without the nav sounds, unless someone can tell me how to enable them and explain to me what I'm doing technically that makes it possible.
So a fresh install worked for you? I can't get my audio working either. I'm using hdmi audio as well.
I'm using XBMCbuntu on an Acer Revo (fully installed on the HD) and while in XBMC, sound works great. However, when I exit XBMC and go browse the web via Chromium I get no sound at all. What would cause that?
(2012-03-28, 06:05)uncouth Wrote: Have the sound working in movies and music, but still no menu sounds. Won't be poking around much more since the most important things are working okay.

So which method worked after doing a clean install.
Ok. So I got it working. Just to be clear I will go through this so it makes a little more sense to people as it took me a while with a little luck as well.

1. Go to terminal on comp
2. Login by typing
ssh "username"@IP_of_your_XBMC

it will then ask for you pass, so type that in

3.Once you are in it should look like this
user_name@XBMC:~$
Type in
"aplay -L"

You will get something like this

null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
hdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=0
HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=Generic,DEV=3
HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0
Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=Generic,DEV=3
HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0
Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=Generic,DEV=3
HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0
Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=Generic,DEV=3
HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0
Hardware device with all software conversions
default:CARD=Generic_1
HD-Audio Generic, VT1705 Analog
Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0
Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0
4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0
4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0
5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0
5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0
7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
dmix:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0
Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0
Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0
Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0
Hardware device with all software conversions

4. Find the hdmi one, in my case it is the first one
5. Take note of yours "hdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=0"
6. Go to System, Settings, System, Audio output.
Change Audio output device & Passthrough output device to Custom & type in step 5.

Make sure Audio output is set to HDMI as well.
I have set speakers to 5.1 and DD/DTS selected but I cant seem to get surround working yet. I might try a reboot.
Ill let you know.
After a reboot DTS/DD work with 5.1.

custom plughw:0,3 works for me, but i still don't any menu sounds and i do have a .asoundrc

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hw:0,3"
rate 48000
}
}

Update: Note if I login into xbmcbuntu and then back into xbmc, then i get menu sounds. I'm guessing the .asoundrc only gets loaded in xbmcbuntu and not xbmc. Any ideas how to fix? I'll try copying this to my .xbmc folder and see if that works
You may try this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1069025

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No Sound - XBMC Eden on Lenovo Q1500