New hard drive, same content - do I have to re-scan?
I just purchased a new external and transferred all of my content from my old hard drive to the new one. The new one also has a different name. Is there a way to simply change the path name to the new hard drive in XBMC so it doesn't have to go through the entire hard drive and re-scan all of my TV shows and movies? I'd like to keep all my "watched" data since I do rely on that for a lot of TV shows.
The easiest thing to do would be to just name the drive the same as the old one. If not that, you could export your video library as XML (check in System -> Settings -> Video). After that use a text editor to edit the path, delete everything out of your video library (don't delete the files though), and then import the updated XML file. I'm not sure if that will preserve watched status though.
This won't help you with your current plight, but I had your same problem many moons ago. I had to rescan and manually redo all my read marks (which you may not have to if you follow pkscuot's idea), but it was well worth the effort because now I no longer have to worry about this issue.

What you can do is setup a 'virtual listing' on your %SystemDrive% (normally C: ), I use C:\~\. When I get a new hdd, I name them DataXX and mount them to a folder path instead of as a drive letter - placing the mount link into C:\~\. This results in a series of folders such as C:\~\Data01, C:\~\Data02, etc. If you migrate data from 1 drive to another, you simple mount that new drive into the same location as the old drive (and if the folder structure doesn't match exactly, you can use other dummy folders or symbolic links to make your C:\~\ folder structure look the same).

In XBMC, you add sources normally, pointing to your 'drives' in C:\~\. XBMC will no longer care about where your data physically resides, all it needs is the same virtual path.
-Thracx

"Man wants to know, and when he ceases to do so, he is no longer a man."
-Fridtjof Nansen
You can also use path subs (wiki) in XBMC v11

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New hard drive, same content - do I have to re-scan?0