Linux No multichannel audio on XBMCBuntu 11
(2012-03-28, 17:45)jpreville Wrote:
(2012-03-28, 17:36)astronaute Wrote:
(2012-03-28, 17:31)jpreville Wrote: have you tried doing a speaker-test -Dplughw:1,3 on terminal?

That works of course, as I already stated in first post: I have stereo sound, what I'm missing is the multichannel sound which is not transmitted at all (not even in stereo) to my A/V receiver.

Also, the menu sounds are completely missing.

Thank you anyway for trying to help Smile

hmmmmm..

what worked for me.. like in my other post

sudo nano /etc/asound.conf

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hw:0,3"
rate 48000
}
}

and under my audio and pass through i have plughw:0,3
and i also selected optical instead of hdmi. Even though my computer is hooked to receiver via HDMI.

i shut down onboard audio and just utilizing HDMI off the nvidia card.
Careful with the "rate 48000" part. This will upsample all <48kHz content and could result in audio aliasing and artifacting. I'd get rid of it so that audio content plays at its normal sample rate, unless there are other problems that necessitate it.
Quote:Careful with the "rate 48000" part. This will upsample all <48kHz content and could result in audio aliasing and artifacting. I'd get rid of it so that audio content plays at its normal sample rate, unless there are other problems that necessitate it.

Thanks pumkinut. I'll remove it and see how it goes.
Yes the receiver is showing Dolby, DTS and so on and is working perfectly now.

I didn't have to edit asound.conf at all, I just put custom output device and passthrough in settings.
Do aplay -L

Find the hdmin audio

Copy that into audio setting

Should look something like this

hdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=0

The Generic part I believe is your graphics card. So yours might look like =NVdia
Hey folks. First time poster here. I'm having issues with only multi-channel audio as well. I did a clean install of XBMCBuntu on a NVidia foxconn nettop from dharma where everything worked great.

I have tried all of the suggested variations of custom settings for audio and passthrough and even output from hdmi to optical and still have no luck with multichannel. The solutions that work for most still produce stereo sound but still no multichannel. Setting to HDMI all for output, audio and passthrough didn't even play stereo. Thanks all in advance.[/php]
Try post above then set to 5.1 dd dts then reboot. Give that a try
I've got it working now. It didn't take any custom configuration at all. Everything is now set to HDMI and I have the ac3 and dts setting turned off for my receiver. Thanks for the help.
I had a similar problem on my nVidia ION-based machine connected via HDMI: videos played fine, but songs stopped with "Failed to initialize audio device" when skipping to the next song. In the logs I saw "ALSA: device is busy" error.

I thought it was ALSA not being able to share the device properly, and resolved it by installing PulseAudio (apt-get install pulseaudio), rebooting for the session daemon to start, and selecting these options:

Audio output: HDMI
Audio output source: High Definition Audio Controller Digital Stereo (HDMI) (PulseAudio)
Passthrough output device: iec958 (not sure if needed, i didn't touch this one).
Old thread I know - but even with Frodo xbmcbuntu I had this issue.
It was resolved with installing pulseaudio...
Code:
apt-get install pulseaudio
I hope this helps someone else too!
not a good advice, pulseaudio is not installed on purpose, don't install it unless you really need it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No multichannel audio on XBMCBuntu 110